Can I get my 140 working again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get my 140 working again?

When I first put it in about 1 1/2 years ago, the dial was bouncing HORRIBLY on it, so I removed it. I recently disassembled the entire unit, and I'm trying to see if there's any way to get it working properly again...

What I have done, is I've taken the two small pieces of metal that grab and make the dial move a little tighter, and used some contact cleaner on it.

Any possible ideas?
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

The needle in my '88 (140 speed) was bouncy too, until about 40 mph. Then it smoothed out. My brother changed the cable and it got better, although it still bounces a little.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

the bearings are shot and the speedo needs to be rebuilt. I have found quite a few places online that can do the rebuild. Mine is the same way. I might pull it out this winter and send it out.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Alright, lol. Was hoping I could do it myself and all, just don't have the time to go and get it taken care of, or the money at this moment. Prolly costs more to get it fixed than to find another in a yard lol.

One more thing... would a 140 out of an '88-'91 work in my '85??

Comment

I have a 140mph speedo available for parts (off a 87),not sure if it would help you or not,as I've never tested it.

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
            Alright, lol. Was hoping I could do it myself and all, just don't have the time to go and get it taken care of, or the money at this moment. Prolly costs more to get it fixed than to find another in a yard lol.

One more thing... would a 140 out of an '88-'91 work in my '85??
            No. You need an 89 and older speedo. Dash changed in 1990, and they also do not use a speedo cable like yours does. The 90+ is problematic anyway, its got an electric motor in there, and the odometers break.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool. Got all the info I needed...

Thanks guys.

Comment

A tiny bit more....

On the cable there is on SOME models a small plastic collar that breaks, if urs has it check it, also try some lube to her, if they dry out theyll bounce to fuck an back, does it make a grinding noise? dads 88 caprice 85mph needle bouces bad, and grinds so bad it sounds like a chainsaw...
                sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

I lubed it up... but unfortunatley in the process I ended up rubbing some of the numbers...

So I'm just looking for a new one now, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
                    I lubed it up... but unfortunatley in the process I ended up rubbing some of the numbers...

So I'm just looking for a new one now, lol.

Comment

Proof that rubbing it too hard is detrimental to overall usefulness.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X