Would Somebody Be So Kind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Somebody Be So Kind...

Would someone with an 88 or 89 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis EVTM, please post the wiring diagrams of the stoplamp circuit? I want to see what needs to be done so my hazard lights can flash even when stepping on the brakes...

That'd actually be pretty interesting to know. I've had it both ways, both on 1987 model year vehicles too! Someone had suggested there might be some sort of short that makes the flasher stop, but I haven't ever investigated.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      That'd actually be pretty interesting to know. I've had it both ways, both on 1987 model year vehicles too! Someone had suggested there might be some sort of short that makes the flasher stop, but I haven't ever investigated.
      Strange. Every 86 and earlier panther did this. My '86, my Friend's old 84 vic, Matt's Grand Marquis, pretty sure Thain's and Scott's TownCar do that too. My friend had an '88 Grand Marquis, it did not do this. I'm pretty sure they did something to change it. Do you have an EVTM for your 87? I'm wondering if 87 was the first year they started doing it. Maybe some mid year rewiring crap?

Comment

Photos of pages from 1989 Ford/Mercury EVTM

Here's pics of 4 pages of the 1989 Ford/Mercury EVTM that contain the wiring diagrams for the Turn/Stop/Hazard/Signal lamps. Might be a bit hard to pick out but it's the best I could do without a scanner, hope it helps you out!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1267995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0990.JPG
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1267996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1267997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1267998
        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks as if I could simply put a diode in the line coming from the brake light switch, before it goes to the multifunction switch to separate the hazards and the brakes. The tail light brake lights will flash, and the 3rd brake light will come on when the brake pedal is pressed. This would also eliminate the cruise control kill when the hazards are on.

Comment

According to your diagram, the multifunction switch is different... Note the light green wire coming in on the top right corner of the multifunction switch. On the '86 diagram, the wire from the brake light switch, it's connected internally to the wiring for the LH rear and RH rear turn stop lamps...

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              Strange. Every 86 and earlier panther did this. My '86, my Friend's old 84 vic, Matt's Grand Marquis, pretty sure Thain's and Scott's TownCar do that too. My friend had an '88 Grand Marquis, it did not do this. I'm pretty sure they did something to change it. Do you have an EVTM for your 87? I'm wondering if 87 was the first year they started doing it. Maybe some mid year rewiring crap?
              Nope, never had an EVTM for anything, just whatever's in the back of the Haynes and Chilton's manuals.

In that '89 diagram, I think I'm seeing that the multifunction switch is supposed to disconnect the brake light circuit when the hazards are engaged?

Would you be able to post up the '86 diagram you refer to? I'd assumed the MF switch was more or less the same from '79 through '89 except for the losing the horn and adding the flash-to-pass function ....

Comment

85 was the first year for the flash to pass option. 85 was also the first year for the horn in the steering wheel. Notice that the 89 has an extra set of wiper contacts.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Stop Lamp Wiring.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1267999
                Last edited by 86VickyLX; 10-26-2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

this stuff makes my head hurt, but this would be a REALLY good safety mod. Pulling over in fog is scary as hell when you can't actually have the hazards flashing until you're at the side of the road.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

1987CP, was the multifunction switch replaced on the one '87 that continues flashing after the brakes have been pressed? It's the only thing I can think of why the one is doing that.

Comment

Can you also post the 'Testing the Multifunction Switch' Page as well please? I want to check to see if the result is different...

Comment

Can you also post the 'Testing the Multifunction Switch' Page as well please? I want to check to see if the result is different...
                        :bump:

Comment

1987CP, was the multifunction switch replaced on the one '87 that continues flashing after the brakes have been pressed? It's the only thing I can think of why the one is doing that.
                          SFAIK, that was with the original MF switch. Car was just 10 years/83k miles when I got it, so seems doubtful the switch had been replaced previously.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            SFAIK, that was with the original MF switch. Car was just 10 years/83k miles when I got it, so seems doubtful the switch had been replaced previously.
                            Possibly a mid year thing? When in 87 was it made?

Comment

Amazingly, it turns out I still have the original door sticker, stuck to the original door that's now in the basement.

Wagon (do recall it blinkying with brakes on): 04/87
                              P72 (does not blinky with brakes on): 05/87
                              '81, does not blinky with brakes on

I *want* to say the '79 did blinky with brakes on, but obviously it's 3 years too late to test that. :p Don't suppose the EVTM says anything about that being a wagon thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X