Which Comp cam?? 260H or 268H??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Comp cam?? 260H or 268H??

I'm considering swapping cams in the 351W that is going in my F350. I'm trying to decide between the Comp High Energy 260H and the 268H. The 79 weighs in at around 6000 pounds so I'm kind of leaning towards the 260H. What's your opinions?

I would go more for torque and towing...so yeah..
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

No brainer...260H
      268H would suck for towing.

Comment

they have 4x4 cams designed for trucks. There's a part # for the one I use in my sig.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

The only reason I was considering the 268 was for the mid and top end improvement. That's where the motor needs the most help. The bottom end is fine with the gearing my truck has.

I just checked out the Xtreme 4x4 cams and I'm not sure which one to go with. It looks like I'd go with either the X4254H (35-235-3 )or the X4262H (35-239-3 ). The X4254H seems to be the best choice.

I'm going to be running a Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, hedman headers. And the truck has 4.10 gears and a grany low 1st in the transmission.
          Last edited by Fordman75; 02-09-2006, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Generally pick the smaller of the two...Should still be a torque monster with the x4262H and the gearing you will be using...

I'm really impressed with my XE cam from them...
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Did you mean the X4254H or the X4262H?
              Last edited by Fordman75; 02-09-2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

254...Sorry...

Comment

Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be running the Xtreme 4x4 254H cam. Now all I need is the cash to get it.
                  Last edited by Fordman75; 02-09-2006, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Hopefully is cheaper than my cam....that thing was expensive. $360 something...

Comment

It's a flat tappet instead of a roller cam so it's not quite as bad.

Jeg's has the cam and lifter kit for $179.99.
                      The valve springs, retainers and locks are $130.97.
                      And the magnum roller rockers are $145.99.

And then once I check the length I'll also need to get a set of pushrods.

So far I've spent $1400 on parts for this truck I paid $200 for. And I'll be spending another $900 before it's on the road. Oh well atleast it'll be an almost completely rebuilt truck that won't have any problems pulling my trailer.
                      Last edited by Fordman75; 02-09-2006, 07:22 PM.

Comment

X4250H would be better for a heavy towing vehicle. You are not going off roading or drag racing with your tow vehicle. Get a cam for towing and highway RPM's.

Comment

Comp's catalog recommends the X4254H for towing. If I was drag racing the 254H wouldn't be my first choice. And my tow vehicles do occassionally have to go thru some fields that are quite muddy.
                          Last edited by Fordman75; 02-09-2006, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordman75
                            Comp's catalog recommends the X4254H for towing. And my tow vehicles do occassionally have to go thru some fields that are quite muddy.
                            A heavy tow vehicle does not need to make power at 5200RPM's.

Comp Cam's catalog merely uses the phrase "Great for RV or Towing" in its description which is not synonymous with "Best Cam For Towing with a heavy vehicle"
                            Driving through a muddy field occasionally is not synonymous with "off roading"

Comment

Ok, Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X