I got my Transgo shift kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...in the mail the other day. What other parts, accessories, etc. am I going to need other than new tranny fluid? (I don't want the tranny shop screwing me with the "you needed a !@#$. It wasn't in the box...").

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Trans filter with gasket and a pan gasket(I think my shift kit came with the gaskets so you should be covered). I think thats it, you should be good to go. Trans filters are like $5 too

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Yep- the only thing more you'll need is the filter. Can't get one without a pan gasket, though. The shift kit includes the valvebody to plate and plate to case gaskets. Grab a full case of trans fluid- it calls for twelve quarts and most places overcharge for it. Have them drill your pan for a drain plug, while it's out. The plug is $6 at the parts store.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
      1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
      1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I'll get a filter and gasket. Can I buy a tranny cover with the drain plug somewhere? I want them to put synthetic tranny fluid in it too.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Yep you can get them from summit. But just buying a plug would be alot cheaper.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I don't even want to give them the labor for drilling the plug. Some places will take advantage of you for even a little job like "drilling a plug".

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I got my shift kit from Oregon Performance Transmissions on ebay, it also came with the oil filter, its gasket, and the pan gasket. They also sell deep aluminum pans made by Hughes, if you think the investment of $150 is worthy for you, look at Summit Racing too. And I second on the get a full case of ATF advice, that was more than enough for my tranny and I also have a cooler (it takes about a quart more than the regular setup).

Which kit are you installing by the way, the regular heavy-duty or the HP one with the high-rev governor?

Comment

Put my Transgo kit in about two months ago . . . .

I needed 8 quarts, plus one half of one quart.

The rest of the fluid is in the converter . . . .

Also - just my own "giggles", I did take ALL of the fluid and poured it back into the one-gallon containers that I got at Wal-Mart just to make sure. Yep, just a little over two gallons is all that came out, so that's all I put in. The dipstick reading was, of course right on too.

So, now I've got another gallon sittin' around.

I didn't get a drain installed. I figure that if I'm replacing the fluid, I'd be replacing the filter too. The drain plug would make it less messy though . . . .

P.S. Which Transgo kit did you get?

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

I was going to have a drain plug installed, but my transmission guy talked me out of it, saying he'd had problems with them leaking before. 12 quarts is if you drain the converter too, which you probably should do, especially if switching to synthetic fluids.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Drain your converter.

Might as well, while you are down there!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I got the shift improver kit (the "NoYoYo SysKo Kit", SK AOD) from Oregon Performance Transmissions. Do you have to pull the tranny out to drain the converter? If I have to, I want to put something in there with a little more stall.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

No. Remove the thin aluminum plates around the bottom of the bellhousing. Turn the engine till you find the drain plug in the converter. It'll be visible through an oval cutout in the flexplate.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's it! ^^^
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

NA, yeah, you got the same thing as me. I'd recommend that before you hand the car over to the mechanic you study the papers in the kit and decide what combination you want to run, I drilled the divider plate according to the police/taxi specs and then threw in the springs that'd give me shortest shifts. The only problm was that one of the stock holes in the divider plate the Trans-Go people recommend to be peen shut, but in my case it was so freakin huge that the only way of closing it would be welding over it, a surgery I opted not to attempt

Comment

I did the hot rod setting, my u-joints hate me.
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X