Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can i use to lift the rear of my merc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can i use to lift the rear of my merc?

hi, i'm getting new rims for the merc and i need to lift the rear end a bit, its sagging right now. what are my options as far as springs or lift blocks etc..etc..??

thanks,
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick52284; 01-30-2006, 02:43 PM.

Check out this thread:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5277

I use the colony park HD coils (TRW Part # CC819), and they work great!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I 2nd this motion!
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Add some air shocks to decent springs and you can adjust the height in the back. I have standard cargo coils and it makes the car level with no weight in the back. I can add air to the shocks and it firms up the ride a lot and gives me more lift if I want it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nick, go with the TRW CC819s only if you're gonna be hauling lots of shit around or you just want your car nicely raked all the time, this way whenever your load it up most of the weight is still supported by the coils. If you are gonna be playing with the ride height in the rear a lot then do what Thain said, but also add a compressor from a TC and hook it up to an electric switch so you control it manually :evil:

Comment

wagon springs all de way
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Wagon springs.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

can someone get me to a site where i can order the cc819's? i did a google search and i couldn't find anything..... suprisingly but yea i'm gonna go with those!

Nick

Comment

check Advance Autoparts.

Give them that part number...

Thats where I got mine Plus, I worked there for almost a year (Assistant Manager)

Also, check out www.partsamerica.com they supply Advance, Kragen, Checker, Schucks, whatever store is near you...

Comment

is this what i'm looking for?

nick

Comment

Fuck yeah!

Comment

then thats what just got ordered, lol, i'm gonna attempt to do it myself, a few questions first:

1. how hard is this job to replace the springs? and is there any type of procedure to follow?

2. while i'm under there is there anything i should check for being that the car is old, and what about the shocks?

3. i only have basic hand tools will they be sufficient for the job?

thanks!
                        Nick

Comment

Hell ya! Just jack up the car and place jackstands on you frame and then put the jack under the "pumpkin" of the differential. Be sure not to get the cover or it may bend it and cause a leak. Then jack up the rear end, unbolt the lower shock bolts and lower the rearend down slowly with the jack. Simply pull out the old spring and put on the new springs. You will need new spring insulators too if you haven't got them already. They are part # CC-100 and you need 2. They are a couple of bux each. When the new springs are in place simply jack the rearend back up and re attach the lower shock bolts. They you are good to go.
                          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Nick, you'll be best off to:

1. jack the rear of the car as high as you can and place it on jackstands;
                            2. put a floorjack under the differential and lift the axle a little;
                            3. loosen the nuts that hold the shocks to the axle (the front ones, use 19mm socket) and slide the shocks off the pins attached to the axle;
                            4. slowly lower the floorjack allowing the axle to drop until the springs fall out;
                            5. scrape the old rubber insulators off the frame (they sometimes get stuck on it and don't fall out with the springs), put the new springs and insulators in, and carefully start lifting the axle while holding the springs in place. There is a specific position of the pigtail that needs to be observed, so get a buddy to help you out here - make him/her slowly lift the axle, while you hold the springs and insulators in place. Also your new springs will be shorter than the old ones, but they are much stiffer, so don't let size fool you

Now all that is good if you can take the aforementioned nuts for the shocks off, mine were so badly rusted that even a 1ft breaker bar wouldn't loosen them. For that reason I'd suggest that when picking up your springs you also rent a spring compressor, most stores like Autozone will let you do that for free (except for small safety deposit you get back when you return the tool). That's what I had to work with when installing my CC819s, it's a lot of wrenching and takes about 3 times longer then the first method, but can be done and the only special tool required is the compressor you just rented.

If you can get the shocks off the axle it's a good time to replace them, many people here are very happy with the police-duty KYB-GR2s, and they can even be had with airbags so you can run a self-levelling system if you have one. If you're about to do that job better make sure you have a big sawzall with a long blade laying around, get one from a buddy if necessary - the nuts on top of the frame can be a bitch and a half to take off, I ended up cutting mine off.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2006, 12:59 AM.

Comment

fuckin awesome, thanks for the writeups fellas, i can't wait to get this grandpa car lookin mean i'll be posting pics of the rims that i got cuz i actually recieved them 2 days ago and took pics, i ordered the springs, next on the list is tires, then 3.73 rear gears, then finally exhaust which will be ordered from summit:

this is gonna look badass methinks!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X