Got a K&N Air Filter..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a K&N Air Filter..

So I was hanging with Bobert on Friday nite after goin to Buffalo Wild Wings...
    he was showing me a little mod he did to his airbox..and now he's getting like 22mpg city. :banana:

so, he had bought a K&N filter from a CVNer and tried it out on his way to the meet in Canada..didnt see any difference in hwy MPG or his 1/4 mile time..so he just gave it to me...when I swap to a carb, he can have it back.

so now I'm getting 18.3-19.1 mpg city now.

I took a trip to my grandpa's place(about 40mins from me, mostly 45mph and a mile or 2 of 55mph)...and I was averaging 19.1mpg. I was pretty shocked.
    I have never gotten this good of mpg with any paper filters...ever.
    we'll have to see if it makes any difference on hwy on my way to SF07.

:banana:
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Hi Mr Land Yatch

Originally posted by Mr Land Yatch

Got a K&N Air Filter..
    Sucker!!!

Did I hear someone say "Placebo effect"?

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

no...seriously...
      I've made this drive more than a few times with new paper filters...never got any more than 17.1mpg.

but I got it for free anyway.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I like my k&n

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

What was the mod to the airbox? The K&N really won't do anything. Unless the paper filter was completely clogged.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I put a new air filter in lately and I was driving in this morning and thought to myself, self, the old wagon really has some pep this morning, wonder why. Then, Doh, I remembers, new filter.... The old one was filthy.

I agree, Placebo affect
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

it no placebo effect guys.
              like I said...I've always run paper filters...but when I put in the K&N, my mpg immediately went to 18mpg+ in the city.
              I was only getting about 16mpg with my paper one...but its been on there for a long time...it was pretty dirty...
              granted, the trips I've taken were in 45-50mph zones...but I've driven them several times before with the avg. mpg NEVER getting any higher than 17.2.
              so, the K&N MUST be doing something.
              I'm not shitting you guys on this one...

btw, Bob's intake mod was basically putting a Burger King cup on the airbox...making it grab a little more air I guess...but he swears its getting 22mpg city...and I know the places he drives...speed never gets any higher than 50mph...the zones are like 40-45mph...no highways.
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

K&N panel with the silencer removed is one of the first things Mustang guys do as well. Good for a whopping like 1 or 2HP on a stock 5.0HO, but does add about 1MPG for fuel economy. My TC's had one in it since the mid 90's, and my Mustang motor has had one since day 1 as well. My dad bought the one for the TC, a buddy of mine gave me the one for the 'stang.
                1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Also, if the snorkle is removed, hotter air is coming in, which leans the mixture out more and makes for more mpg.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

hmm....
                    *scratches chin*
                    maybe I should take Mr. Silencer off for a while and see what happens...
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I've used one for a long time with the stock box and really haven't noticed any difference. I know they are lab tested to show increased flow but I'm sure it's nothing major. I think they do a better job filtering and allow more flow versus standard paper ones. You just have to remember to service them at the recommended intervals. I don't think GM's/CV's had silencers? The Jug thing like on Mark VII's?
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

At normal operating RPMS there is really no noticable difference. The Mustang guys run their cars at the upper end of rpm and that is where the 1-2 Hp difference appears.

I read where most (not all) people who experience increased mileage with those so called mileage improvers are simply driving the car a bit easier.

Not to call anyone a liar, you could very well be getting an improvement.
                        2000 Grand Marquis LS
                        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                        Mercury Owners Group member
                        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Hey man, keep that thing oiled. The oil is what is filtering the particulates out of the intake air. When you go carbed, pick one of these up:

Comment

I already got an air cleaner
                            but I'll get a K&N filter replacement for it.
                            sigpic
                            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                              So I was hanging with Bobert on Friday nite after goin to Buffalo Wild Wings...
                              he was showing me a little mod he did to his airbox..and now he's getting like 22mpg city. :banana:

so, he had bought a K&N filter from a CVNer and tried it out on his way to the meet in Canada..didnt see any difference in hwy MPG or his 1/4 mile time..so he just gave it to me...when I swap to a carb, he can have it back.

so now I'm getting 18.3-19.1 mpg city now.

I took a trip to my grandpa's place(about 40mins from me, mostly 45mph and a mile or 2 of 55mph)...and I was averaging 19.1mpg. I was pretty shocked.
                              I have never gotten this good of mpg with any paper filters...ever.
                              we'll have to see if it makes any difference on hwy on my way to SF07.

:banana:
                              lol, if you want good wings you actually have to come here.......
                              1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                              FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Working...
                              X