Having weird trans issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having weird trans issues.

Hey guys! So this is what happened.I had just picked up the car yesterday out of town, I drove about 600kms and all was great! Then when I pulled in to get gas the car seemed a little rough coming to a stop seemed to lock up when I put it in park. I tried to turn it over and it would crank but felt.like the engine was almost locked or something. Then I put it in neutral and pushed it out of the way of the gas pumps and noticed that while in neutral it would start up perfectly fine. But if put in first, reverse or park would stall or lock up again. I am able to move forward in d and od and the car seems to shift pretty normally at speeds over 35 to 40kms per hour. I'm gonna go check out the linkage now and report back. Wanted to have a better look when I got home last noght but it was around a 23 hour day of driving so I just went to sleep instead haha. Really hoping I don't have to pull the tranny on the car as I just picked it up yesterday and it only has 45000kms on it all oem. Any tips would be great guys! I'm no mechanic but a driller with pretty good mechanical understanding! Thanks for any help!

Forgot to mention it's a 1990 grand marquis 5.0

Comment

Pull the dipstick and let us know what you find. It is supposed to be checked at idle in park, which might be a problem for you. Even if it's not running, you should have red fluid that smells kind of like oil. Brown or black fluid that smells like transmission death, or no fluid at all is a bad sign.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Not impossible the idle controller is just not working and its not idling high enough to keep from stalling with the load of the transmission. Will it stay running if you give it just a little bit of throttle?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Checked the dip stick before taking the car anywhere. The trans fluid looked brand new and the level was correct. The car ran smooth for the first few hundred kms. Talked with a mechanic friend of mine last night and got the car up on the hoist, dropped the trans oil pan. The oil was still red and looked pretty normal. I did find a plastic plug with an o ring on it that doesn't look like it fits anywhere that I can see. Pic included of said plug.

Comment

That's the factory plug for the dipstick tube mounting hole. When they installed the dipstick tube at the factory that plug gets pushed down into the pan. This means nobody has ever been into this transmission.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ok awesome thanks for info! I was searching for what that plug could be for! Unfortunately I work nightshift this week so I won't be getting much done with the trans for a few days but I will report back with any updates!

Comment

Probably flush and go fluid changes on it at best and the filter is original. Change the filter while you're in there and if there's a restriction due to that, it should be sorted. After that, check ignition issues and idle air controller for issues about the dying issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think everyone that has ever opened an AOD and found that part has had the same moment of panic.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On the AOD's is there not a small gasket for the trans filter? I believe leaving that out would result in some VERY strange issues. Just something to be aware of......
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

There is. When its missing usually first slips like crazy until it maybe upshifts, then it more or less works. Symptoms are nothing like OP describes.

Extremely unlikely its missing if the bobber was still in the pan unless it was assembled wrong from the factory. Thats pretty much a thing that only happens when people service it wrong. The other thing that happens is the bolt way out on the corner of the filter gets over-tightened and it can make the overdrive shift valve stick if its cranked down enough to distort the valve body. That mostly causes bad 3-4 upshifts or possibly no 3-4 upshift. I actually thought this may have been the problem on my LSC but it ended up being one of the check balls was jammed in the separator plate, causing issues with the forward clutch release.

Comment

Was not indicating the OP's issues were caused by a missing filter gasket but simply that if he does replace the filter, to be cognizant of it.
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

So I dripped the oil pan, nothing looked bad in there from what could see. Put new filter, and replaced oil I took out of pan. Still having exact same issues as before. Not sure what my next move should be, I've looked around for used trannys with not much luck the only one I'm finding is halfway across the country from me. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to source one closer to me or if I should try to get a rebuild kit. I live in Ontario Canada if anyone has some I put that would be great!

Comment

is the TV bushing still present?

the only thing I can imagine causing problems where the engine will run in neutral but not park is something valve body related. Not sure what exactly but it sounds like in park its applying fluid to something that shouldn't have any pressure and its loading things down.

Comment

Working...
                            X