1989 TownCar aftermarket stereo deck issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 TownCar aftermarket stereo deck issue

Okay so I got a free aftermarket deck from my buddy since my volume button is completely broken off and won't play sound. In the aftermarket harness I got from Future Shop,(it says its for 86-00 Fords/Lincolns and Mercurys) there is a grey and black harness. I match up the colours to the stereo harness, plug the grey harness into the grey one in the car, but there is no black one to plug into..just a small black one that will not connect to the black aftermarket one. I turn the key and the stereo comes on and works fine but when i go to play music it does not work at all, I noticed that the black aftermarket harness that won't connect to anything controls the speaker signals, but there is no harness inside the car that fits to plug it into..any help? Its driving me nuts not having a working radio

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

You have premium sound and need a different harness. Check out Crutchfield.com plug in your year make model etc and it will direct you to the proper harness and amp bypass kit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

This is what you want

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1274214

If you are in a rush, call up your local stereo shops. Most of them are metra dealers.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        This is what you want

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39164[/ATTACH]

If you are in a rush, call up your local stereo shops. Most of them are metra dealers.
        Nice to see this site is so helpful, thanks a bunch!

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
        1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

The RCA adapters let you retain the stock amplifier in the trunk. If that doesn't work, you need a different kit and the amp bypass. Personally, I like the stock amp. It works out well, and if you find a car in the junkyard with the JBL amp, you can swap that in. Mark VII's and box Towncars had the proper one. The JBL rear speakers are a nice upgrade too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This kit works well. Used it in my brothers '88 town car. Also, used it in my other cars with the stock amp/harness that I installed, from newer panthers. It will keep the head unit cooler too. One thing to keep in mind. The square speaker connector(with RCAs), rquires some patience, when plugging it into the vehicle side. The pins in the metra harness need to be bent a touch, so the two plugs line up. Dont just try to mash them together lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
            X