Door panel and ash tray doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door panel and ash tray doors?

Hey, been a while since I posted and since selling my '87 GM, named "Charleston", I'm getting another. A 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. The driver side door panel is loose like the armrest and the ash doors are all broken... How can I fix these?
    "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

replace with JY parts.

the bolts holding the panel on (bottom of the armrest to get the cover panel off, take the screw out of the control panel to lift it up and then inside the armrest should be the 4 bolts that actually hold it to the door) are probably loose or missing. find a decent armrest in a junk yard and you can replace your trashed ones. Unfortunately, there's no option to buy new/aftermarket. Only used and on the VERY rare occasion... new old stock.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Try tightening those screws "inside" the arm rest first (by hand, gently) and see if they are stripped out. If they are, you'll need those nylon nuts that slip into the door sheet metal. Grab extras while you are at the yard for future use.

Alex.

Comment

awesome, alright i'll check it out. But what about the ash tray flaps on all the doors have the latches broken... no quick fix remedy to make them funtional and close?

Comment

not really. There is a teeny little piece of plastic in there, and if you try to shut the door without sliding the latch over first, it just breaks off. its not supposed to, but we were not supposed to be driving these 25 years later either. Maybe if you get creative and disassemble the latch assembly (if its even possible) you could make a replacement piece of plastic but I don't know that those parts are designed in a way that would let you get it apart.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If they are not required, can you "rig" them just to stay closed??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

OH AND THE RADIO... Why are they so intermittent and static. You touch the volume and is shoots up in volume. But i will try to rig them

Comment

volume nob is dirty as hell and other issues are probably there. disassemble and clean with contact cleaner, or replace the radio at your leisure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                  If they are not required, can you "rig" them just to stay closed??
                  If you remove the spring that pops the door open, gravity keeps them shut. Not totally sure how to get the spring out though but it probably can't be that difficult.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No it's not I've done it., they pop out easily with a small screw driver.. And as for opening them just push on the far upper corner and they open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X