Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Question] How to fix very dim dash lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Question] How to fix very dim dash lights?

Vehicle: 91 Merc GM GS

I think I have came to the right place to obtain an answer to this question.

My dash lights (speedo mainly) are extremely dim and not visible when driving in normal conditions.
    I can see them just barely if I turn the brights on at night.
    As far as I know, all of the notification lights on the cluster work fine, just not the lights that light up the actually speedometer.
    I have note had the car long.

Would this by due just very old bulbs? A circuit? A short?
    Help if very much appreciated!

Turning the headlight knob should increase the brightness. Bulbs are probably old.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If turning the headlight knob doesn't work, you probably need a new headlight switch.
      And replacing the bulbs wouldn't hurt, but thats not your problem.

Comment

possible you've got a bulb or two out. if the lamps in the climate control look normal, my bet is on a dead bulb in the cluster. I don't remember how many there are on those, but there aren't very many. One being out would make the whole works noticeably dim.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
          Turning the headlight knob should increase the brightness. Bulbs are probably old.
          Wow, I didn't even know the headlight knob rotated.
          This solved my issue.
          So much simpler than I would expect, ha!

This forum is truly a fountain of information that is very helpful.
          Thank you all for the help!

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
          If turning the headlight knob doesn't work, you probably need a new headlight switch.
          And replacing the bulbs wouldn't hurt, but thats not your problem.
          Rotating the headlight knob did work, I will still be replacing the bulbs.
          They definitely need it.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          possible you've got a bulb or two out. if the lamps in the climate control look normal, my bet is on a dead bulb in the cluster. I don't remember how many there are on those, but there aren't very many. One being out would make the whole works noticeably dim.
          I will be replacing the bulbs this weekend. I'll post back with the quantity of bulbs within the cluster then.

Comment

I think its 2 or 4 for illumination, but I really don't remember for sure. A bunch of those bulbs are for various warning indicators. Honestly they don't really get dimmer with age, and they don't go bad that often. More frequently its bad connections to that foil trace they contact that causes issues. I've fixed a lot of "burned out" light bulbs with a pencil eraser and gentle bending of the brass contacts on the bulb holder.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just so happened to have a speedo from an '87 CV on my desk here at work so I snapped a pic.

It looks like 4 bulbs for illumination. 2 on the bottom and 2 on the top. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by slack; 01-23-2014, 06:12 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

You could also replace them with l e d 's! Much brighter
                1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
                1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

Comment

87 and 91 speedometers are entirely different.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ah crap. You're right. Sorry about that. I missed the year when I first read through.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                    X