Double-Din Stereo Install/Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double-Din Stereo Install/Product

I've got a 2001 Marquis and I'm looking for preferably a double-din touch screen stereo to shove in it. I've been searching for a while and I've gotten to the point where I have no idea what to do and I Need your help!

I've heard you can't do double-din because of the air duct in the way, but I have also seen other Grand Marquis with a double-din touch screen in them. I would appreciate anything as little as advice, but would greatly appreciate if anybody could link me to a stereo or kits that you recommend. I'm also on a limited budget so I don't need a $1200 GPS SAT NAV 1080p 999999W stereo, just a <$200 touch screen stereo would be nice.

Thanks in advance!
    I'll be checking this regularly so feel free to ask any question.

There may be a DD head unit made the right shape in the back to work, but I wouldn't know were to look.
    Could you have seen a single din unit with a flip-out screen? It's possible some years will fit a DD, or that some people just go to town with a saw not knowing/caring any better.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The 03+ have a revised defroster duct to allow a true DD to fit. In the 02 down models you have to either swap out the duct (you have to pull entire dashboard out) or mold/cut/reseal the existing duct to make it fit. Even in the 03 models you have to trim the inner tabs on the dash surround to make it fit.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        There may be a DD head unit made the right shape in the back to work, but I wouldn't know were to look.
        Could you have seen a single din unit with a flip-out screen? It's possible some years will fit a DD, or that some people just go to town with a saw not knowing/caring any better.
        I was looking at those but I've only found screen that flips out and upwards, but the dashboard has a sort of cover or the stereo area that prevents anything from going up :l

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
          The 03+ have a revised defroster duct to allow a true DD to fit. In the 02 down models you have to either swap out the duct (you have to pull entire dashboard out) or mold/cut/reseal the existing duct to make it fit. Even in the 03 models you have to trim the inner tabs on the dash surround to make it fit.
          I was hoping that wouldn't be confirmed, any idea how much a new duct would cost? The idea of cutting doesn't set well with me, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Comment

whatever the junk yard prices it at?

If you find one with the CD player on the middle to bottom section with the top half of the case shaped down in the rear, it will probably fit. Complete double din box shape will not. I haven't seen any of those.
            Last edited by sly; 10-16-2013, 10:37 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, junkyard part. You also can experiment on the junk cars dash before tearing up your own. While your in there, may as well do the Blend door actuator and heater core.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Also, always have a new heater core pressure tested at a radiator shop (if you don't have the tools to do that yourself). Nothing would suck more than getting five or ten hours in to a ten hour job and then spraying hot coolant everywhere because of a bum part.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                X