No announcement yet.

Headliner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finally had some time in the last few weekends. Thanks to Slymer, I got the insulation in -

As you can see I FINALLY got a new dome light cover and upgraded to LED's as well !

I spent a few weeks driving around without any insulation, and let me tell you there was a clear difference once I put it in, especially if you have subs. My roof rattled and was really obnoxious and it was FREEZING at night. Its noticeably better now and there's no rattle.

As for the headliner, the wire brush worked fantastic. I made sure to use a soft bristle brush-

The only problem is I knelled on the headliner a few times while removing the foam. That was a mistake... there are some knee prints and indents on it now, but it doesn't bother me much. I took a risk and wanted to try out some carbon fiber styled headliner because I'm converting my interior/exterior color to matte black with some carbon fiber accents -
    It looks okay and applied nice but we'll see how it holds up. I researched a few types of headliner adhesives and 3M's spray won... it had the best reviews. There was no odor, and it seems to have adhered very well. I sprayed over four coats on the headliner as the can indicated, the last one being in the opposite direction. I will definitely not use the same Carbon fiber on the rear 'sails' because they have a very weird triangular type of shape and I know it wouldn't work well. I'll try some cheaper black fabric. If it adheres well though, I'll probably end up using it on the doors or something.

Those T50 torq's are a total b*tch to remove. The front driver was the only one I was able to get out, while all the others are still very tight in there. I keep spraying them with liquid wrench though, and its loosening it up.

I do have one question... behind the rear bench seats sits a flat square surface just below head height that houses the rear stereo's and center brake light. Mine has turned a very unappealing color of dark yellow (pee colored) due to sun damage. My question is how to remove this. It seems relatively lose, and like the bench seats might be holding it in.
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

it's called "The Package Shelf," but I dunno how to remove it. Good luck ever getting that seatback out if you ever need to.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Seatback out?
        1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

You will have to remove the seat bottom and seat back. The seat back is held by two torx bolts which have to be removed. The top of the back seat is held by two non removable clips. Just lift the seat back up and it comes off. Then you have to remove the third brake light. Should be one screw on either end. I was able to just slide my package shelf out. You may or may not have to remove some plastic trim on the sides. Reverse the process when you have recovered the package tray.
          Hope this helps you.

Comment

Thank you Mainemantom!

Comment

Did you also replace or cover the inside panels on each side of the roof line that goes down to the back quarter? You know the bulged panel that has the upper shoulder harness belt going through it? Some one called it a package tray, but I thought the package tray was the flat shelf that goes from the seat back to the rear glass. Did you prep those panels the same way you prepped the headliner?

Comment

Yeah I think that flat piece where the brake light connects to is the shelf, the two parts where the rear belts come out of I thought were the 'sails' and no I haven't yet, I've been debating how to do that. I can't use the same carbon fiber material, its not flexible enough I was just going to get some black fabric. No wonder that part failed, its a strange design lol

Comment

Working...
                X