Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overhead consoles

Dear Panthers,

I'm getting close to replacing my instrument/warning lights/tranny indicator cluster but will have one gauge (maybe two or two and the backup sensor) left over. For the time being I'll just put them where the ashtray was but I'd like to do something neater in the future.

Here's what I'm looking for:

An overhead console to fit between the visors of my 89CP. Ideally it would be squarish facing rear so I could install a couple gauges. Nice would be a flip down compartment for wallet, etc.

I'm looking for a junkyard part. Ideas?

Donald McCaig

Some well equipped 03+ Panthers had an overhead console, but would probably also need to grab the visors. Your best bet if you want sunglass storage etc, is maybe something out of a minivan or SUV.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I recently built an overhead console for my wagon out of scrap wood. It's pretty easy, the roof in these cars is flat. I built mine to house a 2 way radio, some switches, and a couple gauges. I haven't gotten around to upholstering it, but 4 self drilling screws, of the appropriate length and position and it will be securely mounted to the steel roof supports.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
        I recently built an overhead console for my wagon out of scrap wood. It's pretty easy, the roof in these cars is flat. I built mine to house a 2 way radio, some switches, and a couple gauges. I haven't gotten around to upholstering it, but 4 self drilling screws, of the appropriate length and position and it will be securely mounted to the steel roof supports.
        Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that, thanks.
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Most factory consoles are probably not going to be big enough to sneak a gauge in. They tend to hug fairly close to the roofline. SUV or minivan stuff stands a better chance of fitting since they have a bit less concern for roof clearance than cars but I'm thinking something custom might be a better fit.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remember seeing a somewhat larger one in I believe it was a Chevy Astro. One of the newer ones, it was highly optioned as well. Not sure if it will fit though. I wanna say it had tripminder ad stuff too.

I have one in my Aerostar that just has trip information but no compartments or anything.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
              Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that, thanks.
              Ask, and ye shall receive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84AA9BA1-69D6-4CB0-8D4A-88269B3D7F7E-9440-00000675F737C0E4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	1272238

I know, the pic is wonky, but it gets the point across. I made that before I got a good table saw,or a router, so some of the cuts are less than perfect. Even so, with it covered in headliner material, or vinyl, a 1/16" gap here and there would be invisible.
              I used a band saw, an 18v skill saw and a drill to make this out of 3/8 + 1/4" plywood. It's sized so the front butts up to the metal band across the inside of the windshield, and the back stops a couple inches behind the stock dome light location.

Now that I've found a local source for 1/8" plywood I'm tempted to make another one with some curves in it.
              Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 05-02-2013, 07:07 AM.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

That is a nice project you've got going goodsamaritan, if you make another you should take a bunch of pictures and throw it up on a thread. I'm excited to see the finished result.

As for the original post, I hope you find something that works, I know I'll be throwing this on my list of shit to keep an eye out for at the junk yards.

Comment

That is very nice, GS. Thanks for the pic.
                  Past Panthers

Comment

Thanks, to both of you.

If you do find one at a junkyard that has a relatively flat bottom, but fits against a curved roof, for cheap, there is a chance that it could be adapted to fit.
                    Put the flat edge against the fence on a table saw and rip off just enough to get rid of the curved part. If that means the mounts get cut off, you could always improvise.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27