New '89 Town Car in the junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New '89 Town Car in the junkyard

The salvage yard I go to just got an '89 TC Signature Series that was in an accident. The front is pretty messed up but the interior is actually in really good shape for 130,000 miles. It's a blue leather interior and has the leather wrapped steering wheel with the autodimming mirror. It even has the factory radio! All the wood bezels are in beautiful shape too.

The front door panels are a little cracked but the rear ones are flawless! No fading or cracks at all. How much are those worth? I was considering pulling them and selling them before the elements destroy them. Anything else I should look for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dsqRv.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	1299259

Name:	DvO53.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1299260

Name:	zADcv.jpg
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	1299261

Name:	MOCGc.jpg
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1299262

Name:	SQZAp.jpg
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	1299263

I also found this gem in the car as well. It has a serial number on the back and instructions to return it to a P.O. box in Michigan if found. Got it for free.

Name:	caOkz.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1299264

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Dashpad cracked? Looks like you can get some goodies off of that!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If that leather wrapped steering wheel is in excellent shape, I'm interested. How much would you want for it?

Comment

The dashpad is pretty cracked up and not worth saving. The wheel is in pretty good shape although there is a little bit of wear on the top of the leather. I'm going back on Monday to harvest some of the interior parts and I'll take a closer look at the steering wheel.

Comment

As of now, I'm planning on collecting pretty much most of the woodgrain trim including the door switch bezels and dash trim. Except for one piece that's dented near the footwell. I'm guessing the guy's knee hit it during the accident. I might also collect the gauge cluster, auto-dimming mirror, trunk emblem and the factory radio. They're asking $35 for the radio so I'm hoping it works. I also might get the rear door panels. How much are they worth? The yard is asking $25 for each one but are they worth much?

Comment

save the door panels, save the glovebox, and any other mint trim. the door panels are worth a hell of a lot more than 25 bucks for mint ones, the driver's side especially. last I saw an NOS one, it was listed at some $450. You could flip those for 100 bucks easy if they are perfect.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What are the rear door panels worth?

Comment

I would look on ebay to get an idea on prices. Rear door panels should be worth $50-75. There is a guy on ebay right now that is parting out his TC. with maroon interior. His prices are way too high. He has been sitting on the same stuff for months.
                If the glove box door is not warped, get it. Driver side window switchs with trim, if in good shape will bring 25-45. If the factory radio volume switch feels loose, don't get it as that is a common problem. It the seats are near perfect, you might consider getting the front and rear. I bought a front and rear set for $100 plus shipping. You might get the stainless panel between the tail lights if perfect. That piece gets scratched and dinged up. Rear bumper if rust free may sell. I need the rear license plate plastic filler piece. Hope this helps you.

Comment

I saw some of his stuff for sale and I think his prices are pretty optimistic. Any tips on selling parts via ebay? I've never sold parts on there before so I don't know how it works. I didn't get a look at the back seat. The front seats are comfortable but they do have some wear. I can try the radio next time I'm there (battery is still hooked up) and see if it works. The salvage yard said they would sell it to me for $35.

Comment

headlight switch please. My Mark would like that fixed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The ebay selling procedure is pretty user friendly. I have been using it since 2001. You should be good with picture taking and very accurate in your description. Keep in mind that between Ebay and Paypal fees, that will hit you 15% +. You need to get a Paypal account opened up. You need to price stuff right, especially in this economy or you will be stuck with the stuff. You also need to be excellent in safely packing your items and shipping it off fast. I do Ebay selling now to move stuff I don't need, not to get rich. Ebay is a great place to buy and sell. The sales are not at all as good as they used to be. Priced right to the right person, stuff sells. Of course you have to buy the stuff right to sell it right. For example: that radio from the wrecking yard for $35 to resell, not a good deal.
                      Last edited by Mainemantom; 11-17-2012, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I'll look into getting the paypal account. The biggest problem for me will be coming up with prices that are fair but still worth my time for getting the part. I might try a few CL ads too.

Sly, is the headlight switch the whole entire thing with the knob? The one I found has the autolamps and the other '89 doesn't have the autolamps. Either one seems to be in good shape.

Comment

does it have the jbl audio system if so im interested in the dash speakers the rear deck speakers, the amplifier, and the wring harness the grey coaxial cable must not be cut needs to come out as a whole. done this a few times its not too much of a pain just follow the wires.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            save the door panels, save the glovebox, and any other mint trim. the door panels are worth a hell of a lot more than 25 bucks for mint ones, the driver's side especially. last I saw an NOS one, it was listed at some $450. You could flip those for 100 bucks easy if they are perfect.

^^^^^^^
                            this x10000000000 i am glad thain pointed out to me at the junkyard a near mint driver side front door panel for my towny. i havent seen another mint one.

dont bother grabbing the autodimming mirror those style ones are belt driven and most do not work. if you want an autodimming mirror get one from a 90+ town car much better.
                            Last edited by MattsLincoln; 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                            -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

the belt can be replaced. its just an O ring. the electrochromatic ones don't dim worth a damn anyway. the fat chunky ones rip the tab off the glass. manual mirrors are the way to go. they actually work.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X