Glove Box Latch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glove Box Latch?

Well, its been a while since my last post. Anyway, the glove box latch on my car broke and the glove box is stuck shut. How I can get my glove box open to take out the latch? I tried to search for some info here on how to do this but I couldn't find any.
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS- "Sarah" 122k miles

1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV- 275k? miles

Unless you know a locksmith you may have to break the lock and then get another. Are you sure some penetrating oil won't help??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Drill that bitch out! or try and gently pry it open and try getting at the lock/latch with a wire coat hanger

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Unless you know a locksmith you may have to break the lock and then get another. Are you sure some penetrating oil won't help??
        Well, Those metal things inside that the triggers push on are broken. I guess my only option other than drilling is to pry it open?

Comment

How bad do you need to get in there? May want to wait until you find a latch/lock before destroying the current one.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            How bad do you need to get in there? May want to wait until you find a latch/lock before destroying the current one.
            You're right. Nothing really important is in there. I'll go to the junkyard and try to find a good one. How hard is it to put the old lock cylinder in a new latch?

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingFast View Post
              You're right. Nothing really important is in there. I'll go to the junkyard and try to find a good one. How hard is it to put the old lock cylinder in a new latch?
              Most likely the pot metal "scissors" in your latch are broken, so if you just transfer those, you can use the same key cylinder. Once you replace it, make sure you squeeze the latch triggers as you close the glove box as opposed to just slamming it. It will last a lot longer that way.

Comment

Yeah, I got the same problem. RIght now I am figuring out how to open the glove compartment. Drilling........yeah I might have to do that. This was a JY piece that lasted the same amount of time that the original lasted (25 years). I might get one new for an S-10 and deal with having a Chevy key in a Ford.

Packman

Comment

Shit. This happened to me like 5 years ago and I had to pry the glove box down and force the little locks aside so it could drop. You use the cylinder key to remove the cylinder from the housing. I purchased a NOS glove box latch and swapped in the lock cylinder. Luckily nothing bent or broke after the ordeal..mainly meaning the glove box itself. Don't do this on cold weather or you are just asking for trouble.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok, I got all of my stuff out of the glove box. I took those plastic screws out of that cardboard panel under the glove box on the passenger side and I just reached up and pulled my stuff out of it. Now I'm in less of a hurry to replace it. I'll go to the junkyard to find a new latch, but prying this one open is going to be tricky.

Comment

just carefully pry down while trying to push over on the glovebox a bit. It should shift enough to allow you to pop it open. Actually if you can get in there from the back side, you may be able to spread the "ears" on the latch a little bit so it pops loose.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        just carefully pry down while trying to push over on the glovebox a bit. It should shift enough to allow you to pop it open. Actually if you can get in there from the back side, you may be able to spread the "ears" on the latch a little bit so it pops loose.
                        Oh, I didn't think about opening it from the back when I was reaching into it. Thanks, I'll try doing that.

Comment

Working...
                        X