Poor Radio Reception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Radio Reception

My 1989 GM has a great tape player but the radio is not so good. I have the six speaker, 60W premium sound set up and the electronic AM/FM cassette stereo. It is not the best one offered that year, though. It is the one that turns on and off by pushing the volume button, not the "high level" one with the separate red power button and 80W of power. My antenna is fine, or at least I think it is. It goes up and down like it is supposed to and it is connected to the back of the radio. Is poor reception typical with these units or are there things I can do to improve it? An aftermarket radio is out of the question. I'm too old to see all those little buttons or to remember which combination of clicks, turns and toggles allows you to change the volume rather than adjust the midrange. Alternatively, does anyone know if it is possible to create a harness that will let me install the radio from the 88 GM? I actually own a "high level" radio which came out of an 88 GM but the harnesses aren't the same. My major concern is it appears my current radio/amplifier combination is set up for speaker level output while the "high end" radio puts out a line level signal. Has anyone ever tried to make such a harness and, if so, how did you do it? Thanks in advance; this site has been tremendously helpful for a newbie.
    sigpic1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

if you want to keep a ford factory radio in it while being a decent stock radio i suggest you upgrade to a Ford JBL Audio system Swap. i have done the swap and so has 86VickyLX and it is worth the pain of wiring it in.

heres my thread of how i put it in like factory

Last edited by MattsLincoln; 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
    X