Ignition Tumbler??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Tumbler??

So I went to start the car to go to work last night, and the key wouldn't go in all the way.

I looked inside and it looks like one of the little pin thingys broke off or something.

So how do I fix this problem?

Oh boy....i have a solution. But you probably wont like it.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      Oh boy....i have a solution. But you probably wont like it.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

What is this? I don't even...

Comment

Autozone lista a new lock cylinder with keys for $15.99
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Hope you're able to get it out without violence! When I had a lock cylinder go, I spent about 45 minutes drilling and chiseling in order to get it out so I could replace it.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Is it a 90-91? Those type of cylinders are notorious for going bad - In mine the tumbler is loose and the thumb-wing turns all around, it sometimes gets mis-aligned and wont let you put the key in. Mine will let me twist it around while looking into it and get it to line up again.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i have extra tumbler as precautionary from junkyard with keys
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Well here's hoping against hope...

Is there any way to start the stupid thing seperate from the ignition? Like under the hood?

I'm trying to avoid paying $75 to tow it.

Comment

screwdriver time
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

If all else fails, a locksmith visit might be cheaper than a tow ....

But like I said, my '87 lock cylinder required sustained violence to get it out. It involved a cordless drill, a hammer, and several chisels and screwdrivers, and I remember it coming out in under an hour.

Comment

This keeps getting better and better.

Since I can't move the gear out of park, they're gonna charge me an extra $20 to bypass the wheel lockout or something.

Sigh.

Comment

I take it you haven't attempted to remove the cylinder yourself?

Comment

WHat? Me attempt to repair my own vehicle. Ha. Haha. AHahah. Ahem.

No, I got someone else to fix it for me. That, and an oil change for $201.

Comment

Hey, whatever works for you! Glad it's fixed.

Comment

Me too.

Now I have a black ignition thinger instead of chrome though.

Comment

Working...
                              X