Squeaky Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeaky Speedometer

Ok, I have noticed that when the speedometer starts to move, and continues to move, I hear squeaking, constant squeaking, it gets faster the higher the speed, so I think it's the speedometer, or the speedometer cable, is there anything I can use to lubricate the speedometer or speedometer cable to stop it from squeaking? It's really annoying.

Old speedos do this when the bearing wears out. They are a bit worn out.

I am actually thinking about sending my 140 out to be rebuilt.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

try a new cable first.....should be under 20 bucks for a brandy new one

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

most likely its the speedo cable. You can pull the cable loose from the back of the cluster and lubricate it, but that usually doesnt last long.

I think you can still get speedo cables from Ford, just replace the cable.
        Last edited by 88grandmarq; 10-11-2008, 03:45 PM.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

What's the procedure for removing the cable from the housing?

Comment

stick a pair of pliers on there and squeeze and pull. on the white plastic piece i mean. youll see 2 tabs cutout on it.
            Last edited by boXman; 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Ive had the cable almost all the way apart john, if you need help with part of the process ill gladly help you
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

It stopped squeaking, Whatever. The car will be on the streets November 8th!

Comment

When the car's been warmed up (heat on full), or during the warmer months it'll be fairly quiet. On a cold morning in February, it'll sound like a hampster wheel. So long as it works, I wouldn't worry about it to much. I want to rebuild my speedo and get a new cable down the line for mine so that's something you might want to plan for in the future as well.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                    When the car's been warmed up (heat on full), or during the warmer months it'll be fairly quiet. On a cold morning in February, it'll sound like a hampster wheel. So long as it works, I wouldn't worry about it to much. I want to rebuild my speedo and get a new cable down the line for mine so that's something you might want to plan for in the future as well.
                    As long as I don't hear it and it works then I don't care. But I will be sure to grab the cable if it ever fails.

Comment

Yep, I've been starting to stock up on harder to find parts when my budget allows. That cable is going on the list.
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

you'll have to measure yours before you buy a new one. there are different lengths, for some reason.
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Have the same issue with Creams at low speed when its cold out untill the car warms up. Ford manual talks about applying some special non conductig grease at the connection end to the speedo. Did it possibly helped some not shure.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            Have the same issue with Creams at low speed when its cold out until the car warms up. Ford manual talks about applying some special non conducting grease at the connection end to the speedo. Did it possibly helped some not sure.
                            Non conducting grease? like what for example?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              Non conducting grease? like what for example?

The stuff was only avaiable from NAPA about 40.00 a tube almost the size of copper Permatex tube. I believe most thick weel bearing grease would work.
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                              X