140 speedometer for 1990 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140 speedometer for 1990 CV

I recently found a 1990 140 speedometer in my basement and I'm wondering if i need to do anything to install it or will it just drop right in. thanks in advance for any advice and input.
    What happened here?

You would need to change the gear in the speedo with the one in your original one so that the speedometer is accurate, unless you know which rear the car that had the 140 speedometer had. If it has the same rear as the one that's in your car, it's direct bolt on, no changes required. Also, the older ones had this tab that wouldn't let you go to 140, not sure if the '90-'91 styles were like that too.

Comment

Thanks for the info. i have the speedo apart to clean it and scan the face for a possible white face swap. i have a few speedo gears in the basement that im going to try to see if i can get it right, otherwise its off to the parts counter at ford.
      What happened here?

Comment

they'll be expensive from Ford I'm sure. You can always put the gear in from your original speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
          Thanks for the info. i have the speedo apart to clean it and scan the face for a possible white face swap. i have a few speedo gears in the basement that im going to try to see if i can get it right, otherwise its off to the parts counter at ford.
          i wanna see the white face please post pics...
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

1990 and 1991 speedometers dont werk in 1979-1989. so depending on year of car you have, it all depends... 1990 and 1991 didnt have a connection for speedometer cable like the 1979-1989 did
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

the car is a 1990 Vic
              What happened here?

Comment

the gear you change is in the transmission, NOT in the speedometer...
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                  X2
                  And you shouldn't have to change it for a speedo swap.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

the speedo is already off from a rear gear swap. and is the needle supposed to flop around? mine seems really loose. if i tip it from side to side it will go from 0 to 140 and back to 0 with little to no resistance.
                    What happened here?

Comment

The needles in a fully electronic cluster (like the 90+) will usually flop around if you tip the thing. I know they have in my car when I've pulled the cluster for various reasons. As long as you haven't fucked with any of the needles, as soon as you plug the cluster in and turn the key on, all the needles will go back to where they're supposed to be.
                      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

John I thought that it was in the transmission, good thing i didn't do the swap ha.
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          X2
                          And you shouldn't have to change it for a speedo swap.
                          i believe you only change the gear in the transmission when you change to a different ring and pinion combo, i haven't changed anything for my 140 speedo, and i am getting correct results.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thanks for all of the responses. I just wanted to make sure that I wasnt wasting my time by putting something in that wouldnt work. I will be scanning in the 140 face and trying to make a white one with a laser cutter and some plastic stock. I will try to keep posting with my results.
                            What happened here?

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              John I thought that it was in the transmission, good thing i didn't do the swap ha.
                              The car would've been on it's roof anyway, could just walk right back to it and pull the gear out :p

I can't wait to see the finished result crown vic muscle

Comment

Working...
                              X