Lock Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock Problem

The exterior lock on my passenger door, no longer locks or unlocks the door. What happened? I felt a snap and then nothing, it moves just as it would if it unlocked or locked the door, but it feels like it's not moving anything. I won't know whats wrong until I take the door panel off and investigate. Is there some rod that's attached to the locking mechanism that might've broken or disconnected?

It sounds like the rod from the actuator fell out where it hooks into the tumbler. There a plastic tab that goes over the rod a bit once it's it place to keep that from happening but some are broken and sometimes the rod pops out despite it. Mine just did that a few weeks ago but it's going to wait till the driver door is back together (regulator and run channel fun). I now have a one door apart at a time rule.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
      It sounds like the rod from the actuator fell out where it hooks into the tumbler. There a plastic tab that goes over the rod a bit once it's it place to keep that from happening but some are broken and sometimes the rod pops out despite it. Mine just did that a few weeks ago but it's going to wait till the driver door is back together (regulator and run channel fun). I now have a one door apart at a time rule.
      Are you talking about the power lock mechanism? I'm talking about the one you put the key in. it doesn't lock the door or unlock it. On top of that, the actuator (power locks) has frozen, and what pisses me off is that its a new actuator.

Comment

Something jammed. Probably the rod popped out of the door lock when it did. Pull the door panel and have a look. Its impossible to say what happened otherwise.

If that new actuator is just "new to you" instead of brandy new, it might have simply been time. If its brandy new, but a cheapie Chineese Ebay special, who knows. I've heard of durability problems with those. I actually have 3 original and 1 1988 Mark VII lock motors in my car, no complaints from any of them.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

usually when the lock motors jam up and then you go to unlock the door with the key the plastic bushing crumbles

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What about if the rear driver side door lock is frozen, it locked then decided not to unlock.....Any ideas...?
            sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Something jammed. Probably the rod popped out of the door lock when it did. Pull the door panel and have a look. Its impossible to say what happened otherwise.

If that new actuator is just "new to you" instead of brandy new, it might have simply been time. If its brandy new, but a cheapie Chineese Ebay special, who knows. I've heard of durability problems with those. I actually have 3 original and 1 1988 Mark VII lock motors in my car, no complaints from any of them.
              The actuator is brandy new, about one year old.

Originally posted by LincolnMania
              usually when the lock motors jam up and then you go to unlock the door with the key the plastic bushing crumbles
              Is it possible to just replace the bushing?

Comment

If you can find the bushing. There is an assortment in the help section at most auto parts stores, one of those may be the proper type. Gotta pull it apart to see exactly what you're dealing with

351crayz: the lock motor is probably seized up. See if you can fool with it to get the door unlocked, maybe try using the lever inside while someone taps the unlock button. Worst case, you'll have to remove the door panel with the door closes (its a pain in the ass) and reach in to disconnect the lock motor so you can open the door and work on it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  If you can find the bushing. There is an assortment in the help section at most auto parts stores, one of those may be the proper type. Gotta pull it apart to see exactly what you're dealing with

351crayz: the lock motor is probably seized up. See if you can fool with it to get the door unlocked, maybe try using the lever inside while someone taps the unlock button. Worst case, you'll have to remove the door panel with the door closes (its a pain in the ass) and reach in to disconnect the lock motor so you can open the door and work on it.
                  my actuator will let me do that, sometimes. What was funny is that it would unlock with the key, but it wouldn't lock with it, only if I pulled on the inside lever and hit the lock button

Comment

My NOS actuator died in the pass side a few months after it was in. For awhile I was able to turn the key to lock/unlock but eventually the actuator seized to the point where I couldn't get the door open at all (keys, handles, any combo). It got to the point where I couldn't get the door to open and had to bash the old actuator out with a hammer & pry bar.

Since you mentioned feeling the snap I was talking about the rod from the actuator come out where it hooks into the tumbler, but since it's not locking with the key (you're able to turn it?) it sounds like the other rod from the tumbler to the latch came out or jammed as well. Using the key with a dead actuator puts a strain on the rods and plastic connectors and will often make them pop out or jam. Just throw a $9 eBay actuator in there while you're are it, unfortunately the NOS ones are old and don't seem worth it. None of the actuators, NOS or aftermarket seems strong at even when new.
                    sigpic
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

china or nos ford or used?
                      was only able to find one nos lock motor for davids superlincoln......used that one on the ds front door and used ebay china lock motors on the other three doors......well the passenger side front died the other day as i was checking to make sure everything functions.....be warned the china window motors are junk also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

China window motors make good donors to rebuild stock Ford ones. Thats actually what I did with the last batch of Chineese parts.

Comment

I have lots of used solenoids, clips, lock sets etc.
                          I have 34 used doors! I don't like to sell used solenoids because you can't predict how long they will last, but I will NEVER buy Chinese parts! BUY USA!
                          WagonMan
                          89 Colony Park
                          90 Colony Park
                          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I couldn't get into the door today on account of the wind and the cold. it's may not February

Comment

The first replacement was a NOS Ford one but it crapped out pretty bad (after 6 months). That was the one I had to bash out because the door wouldn't open no matter what (even after removing the panel with the door stuck shut and messing with the linkages). After that I just figured I'd buy the cheapest thing on eBay I could find and see how it works out. It's been in there since August, but for the past two months or so hasn't worked. I hear it working so I think the rod just fell out. Between the windows and locks I'd swear I've had those doors apart 100+ times.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X