nostalgic dimmer switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nostalgic dimmer switch

i've always liked the old floor dimmer switches.
    i think they are convenient as hell especially on an automatic.

can i just tap into the column dimmer switch somewhere without a total rewire?
    s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
    "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
    "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
    ----outlaw josey wales
    (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

Shouldn't be too hard to do as long as you can figure out where the wiring for it is. I've thought about doing that myself; I kind of like having it on the floor.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Floor dimmer switch?

Do you mean "kick-on brights"?

I wanna do that! They're so cool, my brother's '79 F-250 has them.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

after piddling on my old falcon recently , i remembered how much sense they make.
        ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

I've been considering the idea for the past few months now, been getting wiring diagrams and such... too bad I lost one of the important ones, lol. I plan on using one out of a late 70's Chevy pickup, only $6 where I work at.

Glad someone else shares the interest!
          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

I can get one for free out of our '79 Dodge Diplomat...or our '78 Dodge Aspen...or our '72 Dodge Dart....yeah, we've got too many cars sitting in the yard lol

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

More like too many Mopars.

Comment

yeah my jeep has one of them......the switch needs to be replaced every other year or so.
                YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                  I can get one for free out of our '79 Dodge Diplomat...or our '78 Dodge Aspen...or our '72 Dodge Dart....yeah, we've got too many cars sitting in the yard lol
                  I remember driving my friend's banana yellow (w/ brown vinyl) 78' Aspen and discovering that feature, or when the gas attendant tried to open the "fuel door" which of course is the cap itself. Was a nice car but rode like Conestoga wagon even with very low miles. It'd be nice to have a floor switch on newer cars. One of my all time favorite things on the car is the smoker/vent window.
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                    I remember driving my friend's banana yellow (w/ brown vinyl) 78' Aspen and discovering that feature, or when the gas attendant tried to open the "fuel door" which of course is the cap itself. Was a nice car but rode like Conestoga wagon even with very low miles. It'd be nice to have a floor switch on newer cars. One of my all time favorite things on the car is the smoker/vent window.
                    Oh, those are for smoking? I always thought those were for summertime, you open the vent, aim it and prop your knee up so that the air goes up one leg of your shorts, and out the other. Kind of like air-conditioning for your balls.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

is there a way to leave the column switch intact and just tap into it for the floor switch?
                      ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                        Oh, those are for smoking? I always thought those were for summertime, you open the vent, aim it and prop your knee up so that the air goes up one leg of your shorts, and out the other. Kind of like air-conditioning for your balls.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                          It does indeed work both ways, when the ac was out in my car, those vents helped make things bearable. The vents are really perfect for when it's raining and you can't open the windows w/o getting water in.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by brokebill View Post
                            is there a way to leave the column switch intact and just tap into it for the floor switch?
                            There should be. Shouldn't have to come off to do it. Might be able to wire it so you can use both... I'll look up my wiring schematics this week and see if I can send 'em to ya.

And I do like the window vents, eventually planning on switching to front doors with them on 'em.
                            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

That's one thing I love about driving trucks with no A/C - there are vents on the side panels in front of the doors under the dash, as long as you're moving you got a real nice cool air circulating all around the cab. Panthers ain't got those, cause they all got A/C.

Comment

Working...
                              X