Opera Lights LED idea, plea for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opera Lights LED idea, plea for help

I want to do a LED replacement on my opera lights on my just acquired 91 Grand Marquis.

I don't know if it would be possible though, so I'm here begging for help.

I want to replace the single bulb with a strip of LEDs, and I want those LEDs to illuminate in relation to the throttle position. Kind of like a graphic equalizer on an 80's boombox/stereo. WOT = all lights illuminated, idle = 2-3 LEDs, etc.

So, any thoughts on how I can accomplish this? Is it doable, or am I just wishing for the impossible?

Thanks.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

that would actually be kind of cool. i would set it up with the center led or center 2 leds on at idle. at the throttle blip the leds move outward. would be better than up or down.

just my 2cents

Comment

Well I would think there maybe a way to modify a tach to trigger seperate lights.
      Would look sick.
      sigpicwww.myspace.com/reverendrevival

Comment

You're talking about the lights on outsides of the B-pillars, correct? I dunno if you're asking for the impossible or not, but you are more than likely asking for a ticket for illegal exterior lighting...

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I've wanted a light behind teh grille kinda like that. Remember Real Tv when they'd show the road rage section and the grille would glow when the engine revved?
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

actually... if you know a lot about small electronics you can definitly do this.

Your TPS produces a 0-5 volt ouput thats probably mostly directly proportional to your throttle %.
            You would need to find a logic chip and circuit board, very simmilar to what they use for VU meters in stereos like you said. I wanted to make a large blue VU meter for the 85... different LEDs at different inensity/quantitiy for each major frequency... didnt get very far.
            So Im afraid Im not much help... I know they sell the controller doohickeys online, and there's lots of geek writups online of this type of project.

If you keep it amber color, you may be legal
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

the logic board tied to the tps is also what I was thinking for a solution. Should work fine, just have to be careful that whatever you tap into the tps doesn't mess with it's signal, or the ecm might get faulty info.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Then it'll run funky, sounds like a cool idea.

Comment

I dont think it'll hurt anything... the logic chip should only be reading the signal, not using it. Not any worse than testing it with a volt meter. I ran the 85 down the road with a multimeter hooked up to the TPS no prob.
                  Just DONT hook any lights directly into the TPS wiring, lol.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you wanted something simple you could mount a contact switch near the throttle arm and have it activate the outer LEDs when you tap the gas.

-Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

My brother wired a switch on his 4bbl to his fasten Your seatbelt light..

Was kinda cool...
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS
                      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                      Mercury Owners Group member
                      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Working...
                      X