Levers and switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levers and switches

Hi again. I want to make my interior beautiful. So I was wondering how to remove the switches off the steering colum because they are rust and or peeling. And the Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel

the shifter lever is held in with a single pin. Drive the pin out and the shift lever comes right out.

cruise switch requires removing the steering wheel. once thats off, you'll find some phillips screws running through the back. remove those, and a plate should seperate off the back of the steering wheel. cruise switches will be sandwiched between that backing plate and the steering wheel itself.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget!
      I have tilt wheel also.
      What about the Tilt wheel release thing?
      And how much would I be looking at for these things new?
      Last edited by 86VickyLX; 01-14-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

question!!!!!!!!!! see the purple wire in this pic http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/TSSR1.JPG

its always been hanging down not connected to anything and i have no clue what it does or if its important. does anyone know? its the very bottom wire below the wheel.
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

the tilt lever is threaded in mang.....theres a flat to get a tiny wrench on it near the base

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
            the tilt lever is threaded in mang.....theres a flat to get a tiny wrench on it near the base
            Thanks Scott Mang! When I get a little more money, I'll get all the levers and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
              question!!!!!!!!!! see the purple wire in this pic http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/TSSR1.JPG

its always been hanging down not connected to anything and i have no clue what it does or if its important. does anyone know? its the very bottom wire below the wheel.
              i think thats the 'you left the key in the hole dummy' dinger wire. if its hooked up and your chime works, it will make noise if you open the door with the keys in.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                i think thats the 'you left the key in the hole dummy' dinger wire. if its hooked up and your chime works, it will make noise if you open the door with the keys in.
                that's what that is? I'll have to make a note of that.

Comment

I like that way of phrasing it ... :p
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    Thanks Gadget!
                    I have tilt wheel also.
                    What about the Tilt wheel release thing?
                    And how much would I be looking at for these things new?
                    It's not really a question of how much, but a question of where. Though the turn signal lever was still sold when I got it a few years ago, the wiper lever was not, nor was the shift lever. I never checked the tilt lever since I never see it, or use it. Just watch eBay and hopefully you can catch something. But check the dealers anyways, and be sure to ask to do an inventory search of other shops if they can. But it will not be cheap. The wiper lever is sold as a whole unit and I believe I was quoted over $100 at dealer cost.

Comment

Thanks to this thread, I finally swapped my early-style multifunction switch into the '87. Since the part that attaches the lever to the turn signal switch itself was broken on the '79 switch (making it very hard to apply the turn signals), I swapped parts around and used the '87 lower part with the '79 upper part to make a functional early-style assembly, which I then installed in the newer car. Yay me!!!

Now maybe one of these days I can deal with refinishing and/or replacing my grody old levers. Cosmetics just haven't been my biggest priority lately .....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

kk thx.. that explains why its not connected then.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

This is a very interesting thread to me, as the chrome plating on my Townie levers are starting to peel and it's really pissing me off.

Anyone know if any of those aftermarket billet steel levers (such as the ones from Lokar made for GM vehicles) fit, or can be made to fit?
                          Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 01-19-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X