lock problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lock problem

ok i figure this one fits in this category. since i am taking ownership of the merc now, fixing all the small stuff is taking a priority, when it wasnt my car i didnt care lol. well, my taking ownership and the fact that some little bitch tried breaking into my car in the parking lot at work last night......thank you Seth for being outside smoking....

anywho, the lock in question is the one for my front driver door. quite simply, it wont lock. i can put my key in the door and it turns left (unlock) but will not budge to the right. from inside i can pull hard as hell on the little lock lever, it wont go far. any idea what is jamming it? i dont wanna tear the door panel off till i know what i'm looking for on these.

needs a lot of penertrant, take the panal off and soak the shit of the look from inside of the door and work it...had the same prob with my dads wagon. took me about 30min to get it free

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

or the actuator is seized. take the door panel off and remave the actuator rod off the lock/stricker assembley in the door. if that still dosent work take the rod off the lock cylinder and see if it will lock and unlock. you will be able to figure out from there which it is

Comment

damn i for got about that, lol changes a couple of them damn things

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by panther7t9 View Post
          or the actuator is seized. take the door panel off and remave the actuator rod off the lock/stricker assembley in the door. if that still dosent work take the rod off the lock cylinder and see if it will lock and unlock. you will be able to figure out from there which it is
          yeah that's what happened to me. I just removed them

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by TheConstantEvolution View Post
            ok i figure this one fits in this category. since i am taking ownership of the merc now, fixing all the small stuff is taking a priority, when it wasnt my car i didnt care lol. well, my taking ownership and the fact that some little bitch tried breaking into my car in the parking lot at work last night......thank you Seth for being outside smoking....

anywho, the lock in question is the one for my front driver door. quite simply, it wont lock. i can put my key in the door and it turns left (unlock) but will not budge to the right. from inside i can pull hard as hell on the little lock lever, it wont go far. any idea what is jamming it? i dont wanna tear the door panel off till i know what i'm looking for on these.
            Do you have power locks?

Probably lock solinoid seized. Disconnect it from the lock assembly and it should lock and unlock manually. Get a new door lock solenoid and you're set. it's held in by a rivet so you may need to bolt it back in.

Comment

Yeah, mine are power locks. so if the solenoid freezes in place that could be the problem?

Comment

One of the rods may have popped off or been jammed if they used a slim jim to try and get in. When the solenoid seizes up it'll be noticeably harder to turn the key and of course the power lock won't work. The last time I replaced the passenger actuator, it had seized to where I couldn't get the door open at all (with handle, switch, key, slim jim). I had to tap it out of the bracket using a long pry bar and a hammer with the window down. When the new one went in, I just popped it right into the original bracket so no dealing with drilling rivets. If the actuator is shot, just get the $9 Ebay special, and save yourself the trouble. I put a NOS one in a year before and it failed pretty fast. The easiest way I've seen to break into these cars is jam a wedge in the top of the door frame and stick something in to hook the handle, and it'll pop right open.
                Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 01-07-2008, 12:53 AM.
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

well the person that was in the car didnt have to pry anything...i've been leaving it unlocked cause the one door doesnt lock lol

Comment

Working...
                  X