Replacing the Entire dash idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the Entire dash idea...

OK this is an idea I had a while back, but I actually want to build a protoype, as I have the time now.

The idea is to use mechanical, electrical or digital sensors to take the information (Oil Press, Oil Temp, EGT, Speedo, Tach, ect) and fed this info to a small PC that is dedicated to the dash.

It will have instead of steam gauges, or the normal analog types, or even LED digital types, the output would be output to standard LCD or touch screen panels. This would allow for nearly instant customization, not only gauge position, ut also allow for personal sinks and integrating GPS moving maps, and even audio controls, and a more "Flight Deck" like environment.

Why should airplanes have all the "Glass Cockpit" fun?

Aside from the LCD's, a PC running XP, and a good video card, I need the sensors, and a way to get teh data to the PC. I am thinking standard shielded Cat 5, and run it as a network. I don't think that wireless would be a great idea, as the amount of interference in a car or truck could prove to be too overpowering for the 801 standard.

Who here can help with the engineering? Jon, you want to help out here? Electrical wizardry seems to be a forte of yours!

I want to approach this from a standpoint of a Large Car. Then it wont be any problem to scale down for general vehicles.

Gauges needed:
    Speedo
    Tach
    Ammeter
    Voltmeter (1 per battery)
    Oil Temp
    Oil Pressure
    Oil Interval
    Oil Level
    Oil Filter
    Coolant Temp
    Coolant Pressure
    Coolant Interval
    Coolant Level
    Fuel Level @3 (Left Right Total)
    Fuel Temp
    Fuel Filter
    Air Cleaner interval
    Air Flow
    Ether Level
    CHT (1 for each head)
    Turbo Pressure (Intake side and exhaust side)
    EGT
    Primary and Secondary Air
    Air Dryer (Basically a humidity gauge)
    Tractor Tire Pressure (10 of these)
    Trailer Tire Pressure (8)
    Air Suspension Pressure
    Brake Pressure
    Brake Temp (18 Total)
    Trans Temp
    Trans Pressure
    Trans Filter Interval
    Rear diff level (2)
    Weight (Scales built in)

Indicators
    Turn/Hazard signals
    High Beam
    Gear indicator (or selector for auto and ultrashift trans)

Switches (for touchscreen only)
    Headlights
    Air Suspension Dump
    5th Wheel lock/unlock
    Running/position light interrupt
    Tractor/Trailer air valve controls
    Audio/Video system interface
    CB interface
    GPS interface
    QualComm QTRACS or any other tacking system integration

I know I missed something really obvious. Someone fill it in and help out.
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

hmm...The Japanese have been using this idea for a while now in race cars....I have seen a few before next time I run across one I'll think of you and post it up.
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

It's doable. I used to work with automated industrial controls. You can scale inputs for just about anything. I am not sure of the cost since it has been a good 5 years or more since I messed with it, but I am sure they have come down in price by now.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

or up...lol

Comment

Thats alot of gauge/ indicators/ switches. I hope the interface is user friendly. I'd hate to scroll through 50 functions to find the tire pressure on my inside right front trailer tire...
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Sounds like a lot of crap to get a lot of gauges into one interface... money/time better spent building this hotrod panther you're always talking about... and wtf is an oil filter gauge?
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

and why would one need an oil filter gauge?

And you missed one big one.....an HOURS gauge that way you know when it get to overhaul time.
              Last edited by interceptor1985; 12-23-2007, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I don't feel so retarded for wanting to hotrod tractors now.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                  I don't feel so retarded for wanting to hotrod tractors now.
                  Why would you ever feel that way? Some Tractor's are already even shaped like a "hot rod" I could imagine a hotrod Massey cruising down the hiway....lol

Comment

dont get me wrong, such a universal display/interface would be cool as hell, and is probably the direction everything will go... but to make one yourself??? HUGE project!!! but if you'd rather do that than build a panther...
                    The chick Im dating drives a Toyota Priius that has an animated/interactive/touchscreen computer... it shows all kinds of stuff including an animated diagram of real time energy flow in and out of the battery, electric motor, gas motor, and the wheels...
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Nissan has been doing it for a long time now...they had something like that in the 2000Skyline GT-R

Comment

marine diesels have gauges on the fuel seperators to indicate when replacement is needed. Basically its a vacuum gauge, as the filter becomes more restrictive, the pump sucks harder, causing the gauge to read. It would also work in a carb application, or on something with a pull-through filter but not ours. For a pressurized filter, you'd need a differential pressure gauge to measure drop across the filter.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          marine diesels have gauges on the fuel seperators to indicate when replacement is needed. Basically its a vacuum gauge, as the filter becomes more restrictive, the pump sucks harder, causing the gauge to read. It would also work in a carb application, or on something with a pull-through filter but not ours. For a pressurized filter, you'd need a differential pressure gauge to measure drop across the filter.
                          Thank you

Comment

Thanks for having my back there gadget!
                            2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Working...
                            X