Accessories.... for Police cars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessories.... for Police cars!

The weather today gave me the energy to start working on the 84... ( Because it is a nice 70 degrees!) Anyway... I finnally got the shotgun rack installed and the front passenger seat back in... I had it so I could install it after I put the seats back in... but of course the holes I cut in the rubber mat had to shift just enough where I couldn't get the screws to start... trying to hold the rack, (about 25 pounds worth of metal... plus trying to balance it... since it is an odd shape!) start a screw with a socket... So I took the seat back out.. got the whole rack mounted then re-installed the seat....

Hard to tell from this photo, but the bottom plate of the rack is mounted to a 1/4 X 2 inch inch steel bar... which is mounted to the floor under the seat... My welder custom bent it so that it would mount under the seat, to the top of the seat cross member. It actually is above the floor about 1/4 of an inch... so if something gets spilled, it will flow under it, to the center of the floor... the top is braced to the transmission hump under the dash, using existing bolts for the center dash brace.. and the other bracket goes under the front of the dash under the glove box door... it is quite sturdy, and doesn't move or shake...

Had to go back into the house when the mosquitos showed up en masse to announce "it is getting dark"

Next weekend when I'm off... the rest of the fender wells, and firewall repaint and clean up....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Lookin' good, Tom!

I hear shotgun shells loaded with rocksalt hurt like a MOTHERFUCKER!!!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I don't know... Double 00 buck hurts even worse! (Permently!)

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Is it hard to see with the gun in there?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thats pretty cool.......and Tom.....try rubbing salt ino a cut......now really grind it in there....use some sand paper or a wire brush....lol......thats what it feels like.....it works wonders! I love salt rounds !
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

1987cp... This better???

Or do you mean you can't see the bracket??? Sorry, took these real quick before the sun went down... I'll get some better ones when I'm off form work again....

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
              1987cp... This better???

Or do you mean you can't see the bracket??? Sorry, took these real quick before the sun went down... I'll get some better ones when I'm off form work again....
              Oh, sorry, I was just wondering if the gun is an obstruction at all from the driver's seat.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Nope, no obstruction... no more than the radar that will be sitting next to it, in the middle of the dash.... but even the radar is still below eye level... and the shot gun is only about 2 inches wide... so not much of a vision block... Guess i'm just used to it, since my original cruiser was set up the same way.... I used to drive an 1984 like this one... it was equipped the same excact way... In fact, the radios and sirens etc. is out of my old car... We bought our own cars, and got car allowances.... So when I left, I sold the car, and took all of my equipment and boxed it up.... Came in REAL handy when I started to do this car.... Since I had all of my original equipment, except the radar (radar was county equipment) the lightbar, (sold the original) and the cage (I threw it out about a year before I bought this car... otherwise I would have had that too.... Found this one on E-bay--- for $50.00 including shipping.)
                I replaced the lightbar by trading one I didn't need with a friend... turns out, the one on the 84 is from McNary County, Tn. where Buford Pusser (Walking Tall) was from.. the guy I traded it for said it originally came from the Sheriff's Office.... So it may have been on a car he at least rode in... The radar is from a company in KY. that restores and certifies radars... I told him the type I had... and he went out and looked thru his "inventory", and found a really nice condition one.. and then cleaned it even more, and certified it, and sent it to me... I traded him a non working (But newer) radar, which he fixed and resold. He traded me even for it... (And it is serial number 00013) And it looks brand new.

Sorry such a long post... at work and bored.... until I started this... Then all hell broke loose... Fire sprinkler alarm with water flow (not good!) usually means a fire... And a burgler alarm with motion detected.... Anyway.. good way to burn an hour of work!

Tom....

Comment

bracket

Here is how it mounts under the seat... another bracket goes to the edge of the dash, and another one oes from that bracket at right angles to the transmission hump, under the center part of the dash... (Both brackets using existing bolts, so no more holes were drilled to mount it)

(This was taken when I was building the bracket last summer)

And yes, i know the side of the seat was coming apart.. it has been fixed now... had to take the whole seat out (BOTH actually) and take them back to the upholstery shop... the sides were SUPPOSED to be SEWED on... and instead his guys just glued it with some contact cement... the owner was NOT amused at his workers! (He does alot of custom work in the area... wants to keep his good reputation!)

Tom...
                  Last edited by trwp72; 11-10-2007, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X