Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting dash

Has any one done this before?

The interior of my Merc is dark blue, but i want it to be grey.

I have already stripped all of the interior out, all but the dash.

I figured it would be easyer to just paint the dash instead of taking it completely out and putting another one in.

Has any one done this before? any tips and tricks?

thanks

make sure the dash is clean, no dust or dirt.

Comment

spray it firt with adheasion prometer for plastic usse real auto paint they have color codes for interiors prob want the flat finish its laquer i believe.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Krylon paint likes to stick to plastic when you wipe down w/ acetone. I painted front part of a 89 dash black, taping off the wood grain was fun.

Comment

Check out MrLandYacht's ride. He has several painted interior items.

Comment

thanks for some tips guys. I have a few ideas of how im going to so do this.

I think the first think to do is tape the windshield and everything else off that needs to be taped off.

Then i plan on scuffing down every place that im going to paint with sand paper, or a scotch brite type pad that you get from the auto body place, then im probably going to wash it with some sort of de-greaser, then wipe it down with some sort of preps all, after that i'm going to spray it with and adheasive promotor, then spray it with paint.

I hope it will stick haha.

Now i just need to find the time to do it!!!!

Comment

you do know the dash pad comes off pretty easy?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                you do know the dash pad comes off pretty easy?
                I think he sold that as part of the interior.

Comment

you'd remove it for paint tho, same with the woodgrain. Screw taping all that bs off. If I were doing mine (which I won't, us lucky Lincoln owners can remove every piece of colored vinyl material from the dashboard) I'd remove every item that I could, and paint what needed it outside the car. The rest would get shot in place with no trim in the way. It would come out a lot nicer looking once the trim went back in. No color lines if you removed something.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, you shouldn't have to cover anything like the wood grain trim. take all the trim of the dash an spray away
                    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 11-01-2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

how hard is it to take the complete dash out?

Comment

the entire thing? probably something of a nightmare. Theres a lot of wiring and stuff in there. You can pull all the trim parts fairly easily and paint it in the car but actually removing the whole thing, well, good luck.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hopefully Michael (1987cp) will see this--he's got the whole dash out of his wagon at the moment.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Thats what i figured. Im just going to take off what can be taken off, then just paint it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by saiyaneye View Post
                              Krylon paint likes to stick to plastic when you wipe down w/ acetone. I painted front part of a 89 dash black, taping off the wood grain was fun.
                              True, but Krylon will mar the woodgrain decal if it touches it. I tried painting some sections that had been wood colored, and they got all wrinkled and gross.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X