removing headlight switch nob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing headlight switch nob

hey guys im getting ready to put in my leds in my dash and i was wondering how to remove the headlight switch nob so i can take the dash apart. any tips that way i wont break anything would be helpful. thanks

:led:

what year do you have???? i didnt have to remove the headlight knob for anything. if you do there is a spring pressure type clip you push forward on back side where knob connects to rod. push the clip forward and pull and it pops off...to put it back on, just line up the hole in the knob to the rod and push and it holds in place.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

87 grand marquis

Comment

On my '90 it is really easy. There is a small notch at the back of the knob, wherein lies a small metal tab (you may need to rotate the knob to find the notch). All I do is get an awl and slide the tab back, and then pull the knob off. The tab kind of acts as a lock that binds the knob onto the post.

This may be different on older cars. My Dad said sometimes you have to go under the dash and depress a button on the back of the switch.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I think in his marquis you need to remove the knob because the dash panel covering the speedo is behind it and kept on by it - different than the vics'

You have to sneak you arm under the dash all the way up to the switch untill you get to the release button. Its a PITA
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Last pre-'90 GM I worked on, the knob just screwed off the shaft. Pull on it and screw it out at the same time. But that was in the junkyard and I didn't try to reinstall it, so I could have screwed it up. But it looked okay.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
            X