Something a little different...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something a little different...

I've taken my fuel tank out of my '88 LTC in order to clean it inside and out, because I think the residue left from the gas that sat in it for nearly a year without moving was what was causing my fuel pumps to kill themselves.

Anyways, I wanted to use a wire brush attachment for a drill to clean around the fuel sender inlet and the fuel pump inlet.

Then I decided I wanted to clean all the grime off the entire fuel tank.

Then I decided I wanted to paint it.

Then I decided I wanted to give it a little flair while painting it.

I think it turned out pretty well, though...

Now THAT'S unique. Hehe

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

ooh!! Nice. That ought to solve your problem.

Comment

Thanks. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, for how many corners I cut while doing it. It'll never be seen unless it's on a lift and I'll only see it when I'm underneath the car, but that just means that every time I'm under the car I can see it and feel satisfied.

This is the kind of crap that happens when one thing leads to another with me...

Comment

By the way, how did you do it? Did you find a big Lincoln stencil or what?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

now for your sake I hope it doesn't start leaking when it goes back in. Sometimes when you disturb those things they get upset about it.

Looks good in any case.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
              By the way, how did you do it? Did you find a big Lincoln stencil or what?
              I found a huge image of a Lincoln emblem online and printed it out. Then I cut a stencil out of cardboard using that as a template. Then I made a pattern in tape that was relatively similar to the shape of the Lincoln emblem. Then I just taped the stencil over the original tape and proceeded to cut the shape out of the tape with a razor blade. After I got done priming/painting I peeled the tape off and what you see there is bare steel that's been polished and clearcoated.

EDIT: Yes, I taped off the electrical connectors for the fuel sender just in case anyone's wondering. :P Not like it matters, I need a new one anyway.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              now for your sake I hope it doesn't start leaking when it goes back in. Sometimes when you disturb those things they get upset about it.

Looks good in any case.
              This one's been out of the car four or five times in the past six months thanks to all my fuel pump bullshit, so hopefully it won't pick this time to crack open... and hopefully this is the last time it's ever out of the car.
              Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 10-16-2007, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Very, very nice Sir Artiste.

That tire looks familiar though. What is it attached to?
                Straight sixes make me randy...:smirk:
                1992 Ford Tempo GLS 2 door.
                3.0 Vulcan V6,3 Speed auto
                Planned mods: Strut tower braces, new fog lamps, tint, clean it up and paint it glossy black.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfeyes88 View Post
                  Very, very nice Sir Artiste.

That tire looks familiar though. What is it attached to?
                  A 1977 Yamaha XT500D that I'm slowly restoring. 500cc single-cylinder dual sport. It's come to a halt lately because I can't get the flywheel magneto off to replace the fucking stator. I bought a puller and it stripped out the puller's threads about ten minutes after taking it out of the package. Apparently if that happens it means I can't get it out myself and have to take it to a dealer and have them do it. The bike hasn't been run in probably at least fifteen years judging by the gasoline that was in the tank and looked like coca-cola with large chunks of rust floating around, and the overall condition of the God damn thing.

I think I'm going to do a Lincoln emblem on the diff cover too. It's a luxury car, it's gotta have emblems plastered all over it. If I remember correctly, last time I counted, I counted seven Lincoln emblems just on the front end.

I really wish I had painted those tank straps though. I think some time when I'm bored and motivated I'll put a jack under the tank and pull the straps and paint 'em red.

Comment

Go for it, I'm always in favor of a red and black paint job. Maybe if ya know somone who has really fancy handwriting you can get them to paint the word LINCOLN on the straps, then hit it with clear. I think that would look classy. That is assuming the straps are solid on the bottom of course.

'77 Yamaha XT500D? A friend of mine has one of them. It's not in the best of shape, but it runs decent. He's torn between driving it till it dies, and restoring it.
                    Straight sixes make me randy...:smirk:
                    1992 Ford Tempo GLS 2 door.
                    3.0 Vulcan V6,3 Speed auto
                    Planned mods: Strut tower braces, new fog lamps, tint, clean it up and paint it glossy black.

Comment

Working...
                    X