REMOVING STEERING WHEEL HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REMOVING STEERING WHEEL HELP!!!!!

i have a 1988 grand marquis colony park and the steering wheel is falling apart, so im getting a new steering wheel for it. how can i take the steering wheel off? i think it has an airbag in it. please help!

hmm...88 steering wheel?
    should have an airbag...
    I know you need a steering wheel puller...but other than that, I'm afraid I cant be much help...other than assuring you that if its the stock 88 steering wheel..it won't have an airbag.
    my uncle swapped mine
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Airbags were 90-91 dude. Pretty sure only 91.

To remove the wheel, pop the horn button off, remove the bolt with a 14 or 15mm socket, and then put a steering wheel puller on it and use the puller.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I just had the steering wheel off mine.I took the center retaining bolt out and wiggled it till it came off,had to pull pretty hard.Tha was after I removed the airbag/horn button.Other than that there is a steering wheel puller you should be able to rent from autozone.

02 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS 4.6 ALL STOCK,KYB GAS ADJUSTS,GATOR BACK BELT.SOON TO COME J-MOD,DUAL EXHAUST

Comment

if you do the loosen the bolt and wiggle the wheel method i tend to leave the bolt on at least a couple threads so that you don't pop the wheel off into your teeth. not fun i busted my lip that way.
          sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

ohh ok thanks guys

Comment

U can use a hammer to and tap the shaft while pulling on the wheel but i wouldent advise it, it works but you could do damage to the threads or bearings

Comment

Working...
              X