Aftermarket instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket instrument cluster

Anyone ever considder making an aftermarket guage setup with a sheet metal replacement for the original cluster? Anyone ever have any experience with say, using autometer fuel guages with the factory sending unit? I hear that with some ingenuity the factory speedo cable can be used with an autometer mechanical speedo. They have the same 1:1 input ratio of the factory unit.

Quick! Someone measure the opening in the dash! (the inside width/height of the guage bezel, please!)

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
    1997 Jeep Cherokee

An aftermarket fuel gauge won't work with the factory sending unit--the aftermarket jobs are all made for...I think 80 ohms, and the Ford one is something drastically different (I've read up on all this before, but I don't remember all the details now). You could get an aftermarket sender to go with it and probably rig up something that would work decent.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The autometer description says that the fuel guages operate on 0 to 90 ohms. Anyone know for sure about this?

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

The have programmable fuel gauges that work with all models, and they also sell different range ones for chevy, ford, ect....

Comment

I've thought about making a blank metal tray to cutout holes for gauges awhile back just havent got to it yet. Make a tray to replace the cluster that comes out so that when the gauges are installed, i can overlay the towncar's cluster cover panel and itll look nearly stock unless you notice whats actually behind the plastic bezel

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I want an in-dash tach. But teh CV dash opening is sooo small, it'd be hard to fit one in there. I guess a 3 3/8 would work. But I'd also need a 3 3/8 speedo, which is too small for my liking. Oh well. I guess I'll keep guessing until she blows.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The autometer speedo I bought just required a special custom speedo cable, which I had made for my Merk.

I haven't installed it yet, though... And most of the fuel gauges are GM shit. However, I will be running a fuel cell with a GM sender, so it's all good

My idea involves making a complete sheetmetal part of that dash where the instrument cluster goes, and make it conform how I want it.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post

My idea involves making a complete sheetmetal part of that dash where the instrument cluster goes, and make it conform how I want it.
                Exactly!

From what I saw on a thread at fullsizebronco.com, if you remove the plastic clip from the stock ford speedo cable and "manufacture" a retaining bracket to slide over the metal end and bolt to the back of the speedo the stock cable will work.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

This one should work:
                  http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Dash panels ideas....

Check this place out for some ideas... They have some killer looking instrument panels for cars...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit View Post
                      Anyone ever considder making an aftermarket guage setup with a sheet metal replacement for the original cluster? Anyone ever have any experience with say, using autometer fuel guages with the factory sending unit? I hear that with some ingenuity the factory speedo cable can be used with an autometer mechanical speedo. They have the same 1:1 input ratio of the factory unit.

Quick! Someone measure the opening in the dash! (the inside width/height of the guage bezel, please!)
                      Yep, yep, and yep. I've not messed with a custom panel that fits into the factory dash, but the mini-dash I slapped together from some plywood and sheet aluminum for testing purposes was a lot of fun. But the Traditional Chrome gauges I bought look dorky against aluminum (aside from the fact that readily-available aluminum sheet is very thin and easy to bend or dent while going to town with the hole saw and metal nibblers), so my current thought is to make a Rolls-Royce or MG style flat wood panel and mount the gauges directly in that. I might have to learn to do veneering if my skills in working with hardwoods don't improve, but it might just be worth it.

For the speedo cable, I got tired of constantly pushing the stocker back on while cruising on the highway, so I got a cable for a '68 Mustang (non-Drag Pak) and stuck it in. Works great with no more cussing necessary.

Factory fuel sender from my Mercury is 73-10 Ohms. Like I was mentioning on another thread, movement on my 73-10 Ohm fuel gauge was a little odd when I first hooked it up, but it performed perfectly during bench testing while I had the sender out to modify it, so I'm assuming for now that it was a wiring or grounding problem.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

you could always go digital
                        Last edited by raser13; 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM. Reason: pic problem
                        sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

that's just sweet...saw it in you're earlier post...very kool setup dude! way to be different!

yea, I thought about doing an entirely new gauge setup with AutoMeter gauges...still considering it..but not for a while.
                          sigpic
                          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

this is still in the plans- it's just that I want to do the carb/head/cam swap first so I can actually keep up with traffic.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                            X