X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiggie
    replied
    I approve.

A coworker had a similar wagon, a bit older, but also red.

We were competing for the last eleven years to see whose would last the longest - my ‘88 or his Volvo. I won this past summer.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Nice ride. You can bring a temporary shine back to the car if you put in the effort. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    For a winter beater, it looks like you got quite a stout car.

As far as the paint goes, it could pass for a southeastern car over here. Plenty of faded out cars having been left in the sun too long.

Leave a comment:

• Arquemann
    started a topic 1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

Here it is, the winter beater I sorely needed since my MGM didn't turn out as "good condition and fully functioning" as it was advertised. With a limited budget my choices were tight, since I wanted an autobox and cruise control. It ended up being a Volvo like this or maybe a Neon or Sebring. Quite glad I went with this magnificent piece of swedish agricultural equipment. Even 20 years later, an 850 is still a better car than a Neon...
    I paid 750€ straight cash at an outlet dealer. Came with ok condition summer and studded winter tires. And an unopened timing set in the back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_134708.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1305073 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_134731.jpg
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1305074 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_134402.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1305075

It ain't perfect, price tells you that of course, but it ain't bad either. Mostly the paint, terribly faded, the plastic bumpers and mirror covers are a bit better off. Interior is in excellent shape, except for a few rattles (pic is missing the passenger knee panel) Overall feels very solid and runs very smooth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_134803.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1305076 Here you can see the difference, probably never spent a day out of the sun, or got a vax.

Some flaws:
    - Odo and tripmeter stopped around a year ago @342000 km, digital trip works and showed 2066kms when I bought it. I'll have to write up readings until I decide to fix it
    - Blower blows only at max, needs a new blower motor resistor module, already ordered the new part
    - Gas pedal is quite stiff, throttle cable was DIY-fixed at some point
    - Rear hatch doesn't stay up, needs new struts
    - Hinge detents have worn away on 2 doors
    - Timing belt is due at some point, can't be exactly sure of it's mileage due to odo stopping

Other curiosities / features:
    - 2.4l 10v Inline-5, B5252FS, second smallest engine
    - Very comfy grey cloth interior with wood effect (that's definitely better quality than in my MGM)
    - Manual heater, no AC
    - 4 door power windows
    - Heated seats in the front and the back
    - Cruise control
    - Electric mirrors
    - Manual seats
    - Remote central locking and a Volvo OEM auxiliary alarm system
    - Original CD/AM/FM radio with a keycard lock (there's seriously a keycard with a chip that needs to be inserted with an orange tray, to use the radio)

Although to slightly lesser effect, it has that "safe and sound", familiar feel, like an old friend that can be trusted. Just like my first car, a 2002 Volvo V40 T4. I would've probably kept that car forever, if it weren't totalled by a bishop that failed to yield.
    Only thing that breaks the effect is the slightly ricey backbox that makes the thing sound like it's got twice the HP, which I don't like.
    Makes me feel nostalgic and sad about my first car, but now I definitely understand why there's so many fanatic Volvo owners.
    Best enjoyed when it's dark, raining and you're driving in the city outskirts with CCR or Kansas playing from the radio. It's gonna be fine, I'm safe and sound, everything is gonna be fine eventually... It's what I wanted from my MGM, but it seems I'll have to carb swap and DD it for the next 15 years to feel the same at all, also it should've been more base model.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 10-15-2019, 12:04 PM.
Working...
X