No announcement yet.

My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320 aka The Benz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave does great work. If he is ever down my way, he's hired!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
      Dave does great work. If he is ever down my way, he's hired!
      Thanks.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      Looks like you've been busy. That color is tough to match.

I'm assuming this car sees salt? How's it holding up?

Certainly been busy. You know the feeling first hand because of your wagon situation.

I went into this not being concerned about matching.

Panels on this car have been repainted already by professional shops and they did not match.

I figured I could get that result myself and not have to pay them for the disappointment.

To be honest things are better than I thought they would have turned out so I cannot complain.

I know I could have wetsanded adjacent panels with 800 and blended color into them and then recleared the entire panel but I am no professional so I have to accept what I can do and be happy with it, which I am.

once both front fenders are repainted everything will look very close again.

yes this car is my year round daily driver. Surprisingly looks pretty damn nice underneath for having that duty here up north. Tranny pan has some rust scale as so do some tranny cooler lines but the body is perfect which really counts.

Treated the aforementioned areas the other day with fluid film while doing an oil change the other day. 171,500 on this car!
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-30-2024, 02:22 PM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Electrical troubleshooting, clunking front end and new air filters!

Had a recent (with the last couple months) issue pop up on the Mercedes where interior lights, alarm siren and exterior alarm lights would begin to go off without any apparent reason.

Nearly caused the battery to go dead one morning on me as I was not aware the interior cabin lights had been on for some time before my father noticed when he was coming home one evening.

He simply unlocked and then locked the car with the key fob and the light went out.

Funny enough after that incident the alarm horn never worked again. Guess the batteries went dead.

Researching the issue leads me to find out that an alarm module located behind the drivers side fender can become corrupt. It has hard mounted batteries that begin to ooze and corrode the circuit board. The reason for internal batteries is so that thief's stealing the car cannot simply cut a battery cable or easily access this module which emits a very ear piercing tone!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8755.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	1400354

The module is about 140 bucks but a car battery is much more so I went out ordered one and luckily it was indeed the issue.

Just take a look inside. ( I nipped the speaker wires when opening up the module).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8769.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	1400350

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8768.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	1400353

Ugly in there

My next issue was a clunking coming from the front end at low speeds while going over bumps.

I purchased front sway bar end links and a passengers side lower front thrust arm ( on a guess these units were at fault (knowing that I have not changed the passenger side thrust arm under my ownership but only the drivers side)) and again I came out ahead! The thrust arm was oozing its guts.

end links.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8758.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1400351

thrust arms old and new. Upside down from normal orientation. Can see the leakage from the big bushing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8756.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	1400352

All quiet again so I splurged for a new set of air filters even though the old ones were not terrible I don’t recall the last time I have changed them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8770.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.79 MB ID:	1400355
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-13-2024, 04:37 PM.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah... I detest PCB mounted batteries. Many an old PC motherboard killed by battery acid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This is a really sweet car, and I really like the color combination on it. Over here you don't really see these cars anymore, as most of them were run into the ground as cabs (both the wagons and sedans).

I think the W211 has aged super well in a way the W210 never did (still a really great looking car). The W220 S-class is another one that has just aged like fine wine. I remember trying to trade in an E500 W211 when I was in the car business, super nice car and was a real hot rod with the V8.

Owner of a 1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX

Comment

Working...
            X