No announcement yet.

1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 - Project Green Kitty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok! New starter was purchased and installed. It's a remanufactured unit from my local parts store. So far it's working great.

I'll keep and rebuild the old one to have on hand as a spare, and hopefully learn a new skill!

I took the car out with my daughter on Saturday morning and we cruised around for an hour or two, with stops along the way for a cars and coffee event and to pick up some meat from the butcher that was located approximately halfway between the cars and coffee and my house. All in all a the car did great! Still have some minor driveline vibration on deceleration and at about 70ish mph, but 1. I don't typically drive that fast anyway and 2. I have new u-joints to install and will do so at some point. Also, the front suspension needs a bit of an overhaul from general wear over time, again, I have the parts for this already, just need time and tools.

What I wasn't prepared for was the car not running right the next day. I had planned on taking the car to a car show, and my son and I went to get some gas and the car was stumbling, had no acceleration, and generally ran like total dog poo. A stark contrast to the previous day's performance.

I readjusted the timing and re-set the idle mix and idle speed. Nothing worked. I checked the plugs, the first two on each bank had massive amounts of carbon build up, which I was used to from all the hard starts flooding my cylinders with gas. I hadn't checked them since and I had installed the new starter, so figured the deposits were from before the new starter was installed. I cleaned all the plugs off and that only seems to have made things slightly worse.

Went through the steps again for timing (she likes a lot of advance) and idle mix/speed.... basically everything I had done before that made things better. Nothing.

A bit of a head scratcher. I'm going to check my fuel filter and see if some sediment may have built up from my old tank. Also going to take the carb off and do all of the checks I should have done before installing it.

Anyone think of anything else I should check?
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Vacuum leak or starving for fuel. Does it act smell rich? Could be a blown power valve.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
        Vacuum leak or starving for fuel. Does it act smell rich? Could be a blown power valve.
        Thanks for the input!

The power valve and vacuum leak we're on my radar - was more leaning towards power valve because it does run a bit rich and the idle is pretty good. I expect if I had a vacuum leak it would give me lots of problems there too. I'll check it anyway though since I know the base mating on my carb doesn't have the greatest reputation. That would be the first place it would probably go!
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Stock fuel pump? Sounds like a fuel issue. I’d update to an electric pump and snag a block off plate from any newer ford.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
            Stock fuel pump? Sounds like a fuel issue. I’d update to an electric pump and snag a block off plate from any newer ford.
            The fuel pump is stock, I believe. I haven't had any fuel issues before, but I'll keep this plan in my back pocket though.

Seems I now have a very serious vacuum leak somewhere. My idle is very high (approx 2k-3k rpm). Going to swap an old Ford 4300 on it to see if it makes a difference... that way I can at least determine if it's the carb or not.

Comment

maybe this has been discussed, EFI?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                maybe this has been discussed, EFI?
                NEVER!! LOL actually, will consider if/when the engine goes on her. I have a line on a few HO/AOD setups, which would potentially work well with EFI.

I think the Summit Carburetor was just not happy with the car. I put a new filter on the Autolite 4300 I got from my father-in-law and it runs great (which is amazing because it's been just sitting on a shelf for almost 10 years - came off a 1968 4 bbl 302 Cougar that he converted to EFI... which, yeah, further supports Jaywish's suggestion). Took it to work yesterday and drove well. Still needs to warm up before the C4 will engage into drive. Probably needs a rebuild in the next little while... or get a good core and rebuild that for a swap.

My heart split in half on the drive home though. Noticed that my oil pressure gauge was reading 0. Never really put my mind to my gauges before, so did some research on how they work and where/how they're installed. Looked under the hood and lo-and-behold the wire had come off the sending unit. Mystery solved!

Comment

The wire keeps falling off of my oil pressure sending unit. Going to crimp the slide connecter a little bit to tighten it up and see if that helps things.

Carb was running a bit rich, so leaned it out a little bit yesterday too. Seems to have done some good.

Transmission still needs to get warm before it will decide to go into drive. I'm going to change the filter and put new fluid in to see if that helps things.

Also have a new signal switch coming in, so I get to take my steering wheel apart! Woot!!

Comment

Working...
                  X