Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Unobtainium that’s great. It looks like the Mark VI also used different sensors. I found an 80-81 sensor but nothing so far for 82-83.

Supposing I find one how hard is it to get to? I know roughly where it’s located having had the dash of my 88 Grand Marquis apart for a trip minder install but I had experienced help for that.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Unobtainium that’s great. It looks like the Mark VI also used different sensors. I found an 80-81 sensor but nothing so far for 82-83.

Supposing I find one how hard is it to get to? I know roughly where is is having had the dash of my 88 Grand Marquis apart for a trip minder install but I had experienced help for that.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    You could look around the timing cover for signs of fresh gaskets and RTV schmoo. With how low mileage your car is, I'm betting it's never been apart..

All Town Cars got ATC. Your problem is the ATC sensor. They go bad after awhile and unfortunately are pretty much unobtanium these days.
    The one I bought some six years ago had a date of like 2003 on it. However, I think a member on here had some success with taking his apart and cleaning it ultrasonically.. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-vacuum-switch

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    I did my first oil change on the Mark VI tonight, no chunks of plastic timing gear in the oil so hopefully that’s been addressed.

This was my first time under the car and it pretty much looks like a Florida car underneath. Some minor surface rust on the lower control arms and that’s about it. Exhaust looks great.

I went for a little ride afterwards and it was a bit chilly here. It seems I don’t have any heat so I’m going to have to figure that out. I assume it’s the blend door or whatever the equivalent is in these. I’m guessing that’s vacuum actuated?

Do these have an interior temp sensor like later Panthers that controls the temp? I honestly don’t even know if this car has ATC it has temps marked on the slider but I suppose they could just be a reference, if it does have ATC it doesn’t have an automatic fan speed.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-02-2021, 11:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    You should buy a Mark VII from an old dude who was the original owner. So far I'm at 100% success rate on extensive maintenance records for those.
    I'll just buy your white one when you're finally ready to sell it.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    frankly thats the only reason I own the white car. Its been very well maintained but everything is stock and working.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    You should buy a Mark VII from an old dude who was the original owner. So far I'm at 100% success rate on extensive maintenance records for those.
    These cars are getting old enough that it’s hard to find one that’s still with it’s original owner. Especially a Mark VI.

I’d like to have an 86-92 Mark VII but prices are getting silly, especially on unmolested examples. I want a clean one with working air suspension.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Yah from the Marti report I deduced my Town Car was a special order.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    That’s one thing I’ve never found is a window sticker. Other than the Mark VI the 88 Grand Marquis was the only oneI had detailed records for. I have a pile of receipts for the 02 LSE but they only go back to about 2013.

I kind of wish I had ordered Marti reports on the 01 and 03 Town cars, even if there were thousands that were optioned the same it would be neat to have.

I still have the owners manuals with VIN tags for my 95 and 88 Grand Marquis’, so I could still get those.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    I love finding treasure troves of information. My Lincoln did not have such trove, despite buying it from the original owner. He even trashed the window sticker.

Leave a comment:

• mercurygm88
    replied
    The ‘88 Grand Marquis used about having a quart between changes.

Same with my ‘95. The ‘01 and ‘03 Town Cars didn’t use any and neither does the ‘02 Grand Marquis.

Now that I’ve found the stash of service records in the Lincoln and can verify it only had 34,000 miles on it I wouldn’t expect it to use or leak any oil. Then again one would think having that low of mileage that it would have sat for some time at one point and that could’ve caused issues.

It turns out there was a folder in the glove box full of oil change and other receipts going back to 1985. The guy I bought the car from only had it a month and was never in the glove box.

He said it was locked and the key was wrong, turns out either the key or lock is just a bit worn out. I found all kinds of good stuff in there.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    Every 302 I've had used about half a quart between oil changes... unless leaking. My mod motors are about the same.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Must've had a few of the good ones.

Leave a comment:

• tjc78
    replied
    Neither of my 302s used a drop of oil between changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X