My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    You have tried the long metal object or a auto stethoscope to isolate this?
    Kinda louder from up top, all along the length really. No definite location.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

So you tried an auto stethoscope and it could not be isolated?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        So you tried an auto stethoscope and it could not be isolated?
        Used a tire iron, couldn't isolate it with that. Putting it on a head is louder than the intake, but the heads are quieter than the block. Front to back basically no difference, maybe a bit quieter all the way back.
        Laying underneath the engine seems quieter than having my head close by up top.

Comment

Sounds cam related by sound intensity... lifters are right there. Seems to point to the current theory.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Inspection passed, just one complaint; frame VIN is almost illegible. Shouldn't be much work to make it a bit better to see.
            Inspector wasn't particularly fond of the noises my engine makes either, joked about an unapproved change of fuel type.

Yesterday I took off the driver side valve cover after running for a while, rockers were all tight, so nothing obvious wrong. Though the rockers were quite uniform in angle, I guess the rockers under spring pressure bleed down pretty fast.

Since the rattle doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I think I'll get the TV cable adjusted properly, tune the carb a bit and get some more miles on the engine. Then change the oil, back to 10W30 see what it does.

Comment

Curious to see what the change in viscosity does too. Doesn't sound like a gas/octane issue - too bad as that would be an easy fix!
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

AOD: adjusted
                Belts: tight
                AC: cold
                Weather: hot
                Inspection: valid
                Rattle: yes
                Car: filthy

I think it's time for the first cruise night with her.

30°C weather plus me romping on it for probably 20 minutes straight, oil pressure was down to about 40-45 psi at low idle, even with 20W50. Though that'll probably be as hot as it'll ever get.
                I have a feeling the reman dizzy isn't doing timing things very nicely, I'll have to check and verify the vacuum & mechanical advance soon.

Comment

First run didn't go quite as well as I'd have hoped.
                  It idles low and lean now for some reason, more now than earlier today. Had to two-foot it most of the way out of town on the way home. Highway afr is fine, though it feels oddly sluggish at those speeds.
                  Definitely will have to check the operation of the distributor advance mechanisms. And check for vacuum leaks, if none found I'll re-set the idle mixtures.

Comment

+1 check the distributor advance and make sure it's not locked in the advanced position (or just flopping straight out).

I like carbs for the easy adjustments, but I dislike them for general troubleshooting. I don't miss dealing with them until I have computer failures and a screwdriver would be able to "get me home" with a carb. I think you're on the right track though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X