No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing was part of the issue, but I fixed that while I had it running. It was around 4-6 degrees instead of the stock 10. I found that I could start it if I held the accelerator to the floor (fuel pump relay plugged in). It still wanted to do this even after the timing was corrected, but not as bad as when the timing was off. At least I'm moving in the right direction and can pretty consistently start the car with accelerator at WOT but obviously a bit more work to be done.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 08-20-2024, 09:15 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

TPS may be buggered. WOT start should be intake clear (no fuel). If the TPS is good, then you may have an injector that just stuck open

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

TPS is one of the things I was thinking as well.
        I have 2 full sets of injectors and one set is in my garage in the lower intake I grabbed from the backseat of the '89. If the TPS checks fine I can definitely do some injector testing/swapping.

Last night I just wanted to get this car out of the garage so I could park Marge back in the garage. So I didn't feel like digging further once I figured out how I could consistently get this one started.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Urg, boxes are "dumb" in the sense you can't just hook a scanner up and look at live data. I have read that if the TPS is crap, the ECM will spit a code for it. The F-150 we have sure did, although I could see it was F'd up before I scanned for codes from the data. It read 1.73v at idle. Several of my known "good" spares turned out to be not so good though, least not when installed on the truck throttle body. Had I just been able to read codes, I wouldn't have known that until it was buttoned back up, which for these is a PITA. Backprobing seems invasive, like you're inviting corrosion to set in the wiring harness.

Interested to see how you test the injectors, because I've got six on the shelf you can test, or teach me how to test.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Interested to see how you test the injectors, because I've got six on the shelf you can test, or teach me how to test.
            Likely not a proper test. Unplugging or swapping one at a time would be the extent of my testing most likely.

Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
            X