• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright is good!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Three coats of base. Only two coats of clear. It looked fine so I quit while I was ahead. No plans to cut and buff.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'm digging what I see. That paint looks like it went down smooth. Gloss in the roof and side looks great!

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (343K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (244K Miles) - March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner - Sold (05/2011 - 07/2024)

Comment

Looks nice. What brand of paint did you use ? Maybe I missed something but why is the front clip off ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            I'm digging what I see. That paint looks like it went down smooth. Gloss in the roof and side looks great!
            Thanks! It's shiny for sure. Not perfect. A couple mistakes but most of that is going to get covered by woodgrain... so that's a plus for that stuff. Roof was a pain. Such a long run.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            Looks nice. What brand of paint did you use ? Maybe I missed something but why is the front clip off ?
            Easier to remove the fenders to get the woodgrain trim off. I really despise that stuff in terms of refinishing a car. It's easily made this process thread times more hours. And it's not done yet... got to refinish the trim yet.

Paint was from Southern Polyurethanes. I like their stuff.​
            Southern Polyurethanes is a manufacturer of automotive coatings for the restoration, repair and custom markets. Epoxy Primers, Clear coats, Primers, Basecoat, single stage and more.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Very nice!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Very nice!
                Thanks! It's taking forever.

Painted the cowl area with a brush. No one really sees it unless they look hard. Polished the windshield today with cerium oxide. I guess where this car sat for a long time with who knows what on it, it made some kind of acid and etched into the glass. Luckily most of it came out. Also present on the big side wagon windows. I'll tackle those when it's not a humid 102 outside.

This car needs a windshield to be honest. Not getting it right now but the edges are delaminating and fogging/bubbling. Did one of you say new windshields aren't available any longer? Or am I making that up. It's the regular one, not heated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6333.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	1399018

Name:	IMG_6334.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	1399019

only 99 when I took this picture.

Name:	IMG_6335.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1399016
                Attached Files

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Been working on the front clip and tailgate this week. Put all that in epoxy yesterday and had a paint issue - about a 1000 tiny fish eyes.

It's not a huge deal but annoying. I think I can block out the epoxy a little, followed with the 2K primer and blocking again and get rid of those suckers without starting from scratch. Still annoying and disappointing.

Given the uniform distribution of them, I think the oil came out of the air line. I beat on the air compressor pretty hard this week getting it prepped and I guess some got by the moisture traps.

Going to flush out the air lines with acetone and start blocking.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Ugha. That’s annoying.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I definitely caused the problem. I've had two moisture traps, a desiccant dryer, and a filter. The desiccant apparatus got restricted, and due to how it's assembled, I removed that and the filter.

Oil made it through the moisture traps and into the hose. Tried flushing it today but could never get it completely clean. Put the filter back and ordered a new hose. Oh well. Just glad it wasn't during base/clear.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I actually purchased separate hoses just to use only for primer, base and clear. I keep them separate from the other hoses. Eastwood was having some closeouts on 25 and 50' hoses so I said why not. A little money here can save a lot of money/labor and time on the back end.

Hope you can get your fisheyes out after another coat of primer.
                        ~David~

Comment

Finally got everything painted! Again, it's not perfect but I don't think paint ever is and that's why they invented buffing? It's good enough for me without buffing.

Ordered vinyl yesterday from VVIVID. It is red oak patterned. I can return it if I don't like it - which is pretty important to me. Was supposed to arrive July 30. Got a notice today that it would be August 6. Not happy. At least the paint will have some extra time to gas out and maybe I can work on some other projects in the meantime.

As a side note, 3M Di-Noc is available but the exterior grade is not recommended for complex contours, such as a car. They have interior grades available but I'll be darned if I pay $1000+ for interior grade vinyl.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Curious to see how well the VVIVID product works for you. I'd only ever looked at Di-Noc and laughed at the price, considering getting enough to cover a wagon puts you on the path to a decent paint job as it goes. Would be nice to see a product that works good and one could get enough material for sub-$1000.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1979 Ford LTD Landau (38K Miles) - New Cruiser

-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (343K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (244K Miles) - March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner - Sold (05/2011 - 07/2024)

Comment

Name:	IMG_6354.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	1399329
                              Playing around with trim to see what works and doesn't.

Plan is to strip the old stuff, paint it with a self etching primer and put a tan color on it. Hopefully use some type of technique to get some woodgrain pattern on it - very experimental at this point. Suggestions welcome. Dry brushing in the background above gave decent results on flat paper. Tougher on conplex shapes.

Stripping was interesting today. The laminate comes off fine since it's old - it just peels. Below that is a tan vinyl, most of which is still stuck pretty well on my car. Tried paint stripper - no surprise, nothing. Tried media blasting - that ate up the aluminum pretty bad. Finally burnt it off. That worked well. More burning to commence (in a well ventilated area). Plan to chase that with 400 grit and the primer.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

The trim is one thing i think the CP definitely got better than the CS.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X