No announcement yet.

Stealthlead's 1991 Grand Marquis - Mayhem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicely done!!! Those Bullits look perfect on your car. They seem to blend with the paint. Beautiful!

Packman

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Those wheels fit that car's image well. I like 'em!

Hopefully you can address the rear main leak. One of my former vehicles had a poorly installed rear main to the point where I was driving it, the oil was spraying out and shooting down the underside of the car. Even with it being a 302 - probably want to keep the oil in the engine...
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Those wheels look good!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Nice car by the way what brand is the hitch what are you plans for trailer wiring?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

The hitch is a class 3 curt and came with the plug n play wiring. Thanks for all the positive comments!
              1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

After doing some more searching on these forums... I'm relatively sure its not the rear main, but rather the lower intake. Considering I worked on it only a few weeks ago, it looks to be the main culprit. It seems like most of you guys used gasket sealer instead of those rubber gaskets for the front and rear seals of the lower. Its pretty bad.. like 1/2 a cup a day.
                1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

I went ahead and took out the lower intake. That rear seal was the culprit! It was leaking through the sides where the block and heads meet so we made sure to extra RTV that part up. I also don't think we put enough on the top of the gasket.

We tried using the guide bolt method, but I don't understand how you guys do that, the intake would go in crooked, etc so we just took them out. In addition to this, I decided to take a look at the mysterious PCV valve I've been reading so much about lately...

Nasty!!!! Here is a comparison to show just how filthy and clogged it was-

We think the PCV valve being clogged might have added to the leak as the oil pressure would build up in that area, at least that's what we think... I'm pretty sure everything is good and sealed up now. Will know if it leaks in this upcoming week! I also replaced the IAC valve (was filthy as well), gave it a pressure wash and shined up the tires!

Comment

Since you're in Colorado now I think it would be pretty badass to see some pictures of your car up in the mountains.

Just a thought.

Comment

Nice looking GM! Keep the pics coming. Love the 18s on your car too. My silver 90 has a bad case of the sunburn. How are you removing the peeling clear coat? I've been thinking about a wrap instead of paint.

Comment

The 5.8 also has an aluminum intake manifold. Almost every one of the 16 CVPI s we've owned had to have the intake gaskets replaced. Most often the black gasket around the rear water jacket blows and allows antifreeze to leak outside and also inside the lifter valley. Galvanic action between the AL and steel components deteriorate the gaskets. I'm sure the "dead heading" of these water jacket ports does not help either.

Comment

Oh thanks for the replies guys! I'm removing the clear coat by renting an electric sander from a friend that works at a body shop. A lot of the clear coat has already peeled due to it being repainted (I recently discovered it was repainted) and whoever did it didn't use very high quality paint. Anyways, the coat needs to be sanded down to at least 1000 grit, and then I can wrap it. So all it really takes is a good long day of sanding (Worst part) and about $450 is materials, and since its what I do I can wrap it in a day or two and all done.

It already snowed here on the 10th.. I already got stuck >:L but I love this pic, you can't see any paint defects lol!

I know it looks pretty but the power was out for like six hours as soon as I got home as well, it was a really bad, cold unexpected day. I'm planning on picking up my snow tires back in Phx and am trying to get a cvpi steering box asap, the roads are narrow here. I'm really going to try and get a new rear end in asap both because I've wanted 3.73s for a while and because of the snow. A co worker is trying to sell me his Subaru with like 150k on it for $3k.. its not a bad deal but the fact of the matter is I love driving my box so much. Other than that I have literally no oil leaks since fixing up the lower intake and she is running strong! The smog is starting to rattle, I really need to delete the shit out of that thing.
                          Last edited by Stealthlead; 10-12-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Beautiful car, those wheels look perfect on it.

Comment

Bit of an update; one of my brights has been out forever and all I have are these horrible, sad excuses of HID's and they don't stay on anymore with my brights so I ordered some Hella brights while I was away in Texas and the difference is literally night and day. They are so bright I got pulled over for accidentally blinding a cop lol (our cars met at the top of the hill, didn't really see him). No ticket though, I know him he's cool. I was also speeding Those HID's are condescending like crazy too, they are so useless and the visibility has gotten so horrible. The blue halo is cool but that's about it... I'm swapping them out for hella's too soon enough... having ballasts and extra harnesses is just more shit to fail, like it already has before.

I'm also wrapping my car matte black within the next month or following, I'm starting up a business and got funded already so the GM is going to be the shining example of my work. There will be tons of pics Getting an electric DA and getting to work asap. I've also decided to get another car, some awd/4wd (most likely a sub) because although the GM does great in the snow there is no way in hell its getting me to these ski resorts (I've seen even a few F150's sliding around). Its going to be better for the GM long term though because I'll finally have a second car while I do work so there won't be any rush anymore.

Comment

Ok I finally did the smog delete today -

No more annoying rattling sounds and it has slightly more power! Mostly because I don't have the AC pump hooked up. The 560k6 belt was way, WAY too tight to even think about getting it around the idler pulley. I plugged the two vacuum lines with bolts, and since I've had my exhaust done I could just pull that steel air tubing that usually goes to the exhaust right out. The other steel tube that goes to the back of the driver side head is still there though. I didn't have a bolt big enough and just have it taped up for now :x Big brake conversion is coming very soon or else I'm going to run into some more serious problems in the snow.

Comment

Working...
                                X