1989' Country Squire TricFlow kit swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989' Country Squire TricFlow kit swap

I purchased this wagon for $1000 from a cop in Indianapolis IN. It had a unknown amount of mileage listed on the title. These cars are becoming rarer and rarer to find now due to the popularity of the SUV ever since the 80's. Below are pictures from my facebook album of the progress I have documented.

This is my college Cory. I helped him rework the suspension on his 65' impala, and he was more than happy to let me use the garage for this project. We began stripping the car down with the anticipation of
    actually just changing out the gaskets. There was ALOT of sludge.

After determining the condition of the heads and massive amounts of sludge the motor has endured, I acquired a TrickFlow StreetBurner top end kit. It comes with a Stage 1 cam, Fast as Cast Heads, lower and upper intake plenums, and a engine set of FelPro Gaskets. I also purchased a set of BBK Stainless Shorty unequal length headers, and a Offroad Mustang H pipe from (fox body specs of course for the 302)

Turbines were painfully removed from the car. The tires had not been rotated since the service records indicated in 1995. The car had been sitting for quite sometime, and I had to also hack off the ford factory wheel lock. The key was nowhere to be found. I installed a set of Cragar Soft 8's

A custom throttle body bracket was made out of a mustang 75mm spacer, that was procured from UPR. I cut, drilled, and tapped studs for the factory throttle bracket to attach. Also I had to install two wood RTV coated 3/4" spacers to allow the IAC to clear the TrickFlow StreetBurner intake.

This is the current status of the motor, after many hours of internal cleaning and assembly. I still need to tidy up the engine bay and install fluids and sort out the PCV and vaccume systems.

1989 Ford Mustang LX...............................1989 Crown Victoria Country Squire LX..

What ECM are you planning on?
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I am running one out of a Lincoln Mark VII 89'
      1989 Ford Mustang LX...............................1989 Crown Victoria Country Squire LX..

Comment

Looks like someone didn't keep up on the oil changes very well. Thats usually why these things sludge up so bad, that and not letting it really warm up to cook out the garbage in the oil.

Hopefully it'll work out but I have a feeling you'll end up with mass air and a tune on this thing. The speed density ECM doesn't like significant changes in airflow through the motor. they tend to run very lean even with stock HO cams and P heads.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mass Air needed for sure. What size TB?

Comment

65mm TB.

As far as mass air goes, would it be that hard to convert it? or should I run a different PCM?

I found this on CVN

1. Mass Air Computer from an HO Engine
            2. Mass Air Sensor
            3. Tube that runs from MAF Sensor to Throttle Body
            4. Custom MAF Sensor mounting bracket (build it yourself)
            5. Conversion Wiring kit (availible from Interactive Systems & Technologies for $30)

The MAF Sensor harness itself has 4 wires that come off of it and connect to you ECM (on the firewall, driver's side, below the Cruise Module). You need to take apart your ECM connector and do the following:

Insert the new Red wire to pin 37 or 57
            Insert the new Black wire to pin 40 or 60
            Insert the new Brown wire to pin 9
            Insert the new Blue wire to pin 50
            Splice a wire from your fuel pump relay Hot wire (big orange one coming off of the relay which is on your driver's fenderwall right behind the wiper fluid box) to pin 19
            Splice a wire from your VSS Hot wire to pin 3
            Splice a wire from your VSS Ground wire to pin 6
            Move pin 51 to pin 38
            Move pin 11 to pin 32
            Last edited by vabeachsand; 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Nice job on the top end swap! You will most likely end up with a mass air swap. I swapped on a 75mm TB that's for another engine just to see what whould happen. It ran like I disconnected the MAP sensor. Though that was with the '86 lopo ECM. Definitely keep us updated about your swap.

Packman

Comment

Yea, I found some links and I plan on going ahead and making a harness to do the swap myself.

Looks fairly straight forward. I need to make some 02 extensions this weekend, so I will grab some other parts for the conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by vabeachsand View Post
                  65mm TB.

As far as mass air goes, would it be that hard to convert it? or should I run a different PCM?

I found this on CVN
                  Going mass air would require a different computer as well.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So I can't use this one?

Comment

if your sticking with an automatic get a ECM for an auto it will not have as manny issues. Dont go bigger than a 65mm TB

Comment

That is a Mark VII computer. They never came with mass air so this particular computer is not mass air compatible. You need an A9P (from auto stangs) or an A9L (from manual stangs). This webpage will also give you an idea of what you can use. http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=17

I just listed a9p and a9l because they are the most referred to.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

A9P, A9M, A9T(rare) will all work for the mass air/automatic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So just a automatic PCM should work. Would I be able to salvage the MAF and wiring for the connector from a existing car, instead of buying a conversion harness? Im pretty confident that I could solder one together from scratch.

Comment

You only add 2 wires and move a few pins around. Fox body harnesses are completely different from panthers so besides for getting the pigtail for the MAF, and a few PCM pins, you can't use much else.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X