My "new" little truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "new" little truck

I've got a 87 F250 light duty 2wd has served me well for almost 5 years. Well the truck has almost 300,000 miles on the original drivetrain. I've decided to step up to a heavier truck. After some searching I found this beast.

This morning I went and picked up my new tow rig. It's a 1991 Ford Superduty (basically a F450 ) 2wd dually. It has the 7.3L V8 idi diesel with a 5 spd, 5.13 geared disc brake Dana rear diff. It has leaf spring front suspension with a solid I-beam axle and 10 lug wheels. It has a 14,500 pound GVWR. It has a 14' flatbed with a built in full width storage box on the back. It runs good and drives good. It rides pretty rough empty like I knew it would.

It does need a little work. It needs the inner rear tires replaced. The front fuel tank leaks and the rear tank filler neck isn't high enough so you can't fill the rear tank. And it has a couple other minor issues but overall I'm happy with it so far.

It didn't have any spare tire so after I picked it up I ran to a salvage yard and bought a couple spare rims for it. I'm going to pull the BFG AT's off the back of my 87 and have them mounted on the Superduty rims.

Here's a few pics of it. Sorry about the crappy pictures the batteries in my camera were almost dead. This truck is like the big brother of my 87.

And here's what it's replacing.

Good choice for a cheap reliable heavy-duty work truck. Know much about the IDI diesel? Oh yeah, your truck sits too level empty - need some more leafs in the rear

Comment

Man I don't know squat about diesels period. About all I know about the diesel I've got puts out a shit load of black smoke when you get on it hard. And when you rev it over 2500 rpms the engine starts getting very loud!

The only diesels I've worked on were VW rabbits/jetta's.

It's a big change going from a F250 with a 302 that makes it's power higher in the rpm range to the low revving diesel that puts out a lot of torque.

I've been trying to find out some info on the IDI's but I've got a lot to learn. If you have any tips or advice on them I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh and if it had any more leaf springs I'd need a helmet! I just about hit my head on the roof when I hit a bump the way it is!!
      Last edited by Fordman75; 10-08-2009, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Best advice I can give you is to join Oilburners.net, they are by far the best online community for us IDI owners. When you do join, make sure you read these tech articles:

The following is a primer on what to look for in a used Ford truck or van, powered by the 1983 to 1987 6.9 and 1987 to 1994 7.3 IDI (Non-Powerstroke) engine. Obviously any vehicle purchase should include an inspection for the obvious signs of trouble. Leaks, squeaks, obvious damage, bad...

There are many explanations of what Caviation is, and how deadly it is to the IDI on the web, but none as good as what Eric (Yaric008) has come up with now. Mike (95_Stroker) originally posted the information in the paragraph below, which you can read quickly to see if your interested in...

A frequent question we get posts about is "Why does my truck start then die" Below is an explanation of why this is, and one method I implimented to combat this problem. My filter head is mounted on my frame under the drivers butt on the Moosestang. The return line goes to the tank, and the...

We all know that todays Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) is not what our trucks were designed to run on. Over the last few decades, the amount of lubrication available in diesel fuel has continued to decline. This has resulted in additional wear of fuel injection pumps and injectors not only in...

Many thanks to user Agnem better know as Mel for the indepth article on the servicing of the fuel injection system on the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines. Please follow the link to Mels article. Article Here

Then later on, if you wanna get some other cool add-ons:

I've done an extensive search on this subject but everything was scattered. id like to have all the info compiled into one thread. i want to make my own intake system. i have seen styles that route to the radiator support, cowl area, passenger side behind the battery and ghost tube. my...

OK, my stock alternator was making some nasty noises from the bearings, so I figured what better time to do what? MOD! I happened to have a 130 amp 3G reman off of a van I had scrapped (92 300 I6). One off of a Taurus will also work. Now if you are going junkyarding, you want to be able...

The high idle solenoid on our trucks works when it's cold, but sometimes there are days and times when you wish you could turn it on at will. If that has ever been your desire, wish no more. Ron Butts, has gotten off his name-sake and crafted a fine article to assist you in running a little...

There are a lot of coolant filter how-to articles on the net, but this one is the best that I have seen. Many thanks to Tim Basaker (The Warden) for this outstanding effort. ADDING A COOLANT FILTER

Many thanks to Mr. Ron Butts, the DieselDogCatcher for this excellent article on what to do when your clutch pedal has developed a linkage problem. Heim Joint Article Here

That ought to keep ya busy for a while

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll register and start reading.

Comment

That is sweet looking. You have TONS of room for parts and anything!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice. I've always liked the early SDs.

I believe they have 10 lug wheels (as opposed to 8 lugs on the 350).

Also, I'm not sure, maybe you or Ivan could confirm, that the SD was not available in 4WD? My Dad always said that, but the maintenance department at my school has a later ('95-'96 I think) SD, with the 10 lug wheels, and it is 4WD.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Nate, that is correct, the F-Superduty was never available in 4x4 from the factory, just like the 3500HD Chevrolets and GMCs. Any F-Superduty or 3500HD 4x4 truck is an aftermarket conversion.

Comment

So are those doors on the side of the "bumper" how you access the taillights and wiring?
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    That is sweet looking. You have TONS of room for parts and anything!
                    I haul a lot of scrap metal and usually I have to haul it on my 20 foot car trailer. Once I build the sides and rear gate, I'll be able to leave the trailer at home and just haul the scrap on the flatbed.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                    Nice. I've always liked the early SDs.

I believe they have 10 lug wheels (as opposed to 8 lugs on the 350).

Also, I'm not sure, maybe you or Ivan could confirm, that the SD was not available in 4WD? My Dad always said that, but the maintenance department at my school has a later ('95-'96 I think) SD, with the 10 lug wheels, and it is 4WD.
                    Me too. But I like almost every Ford truck ever made. This one is a beast! It's got everything I wanted to add on the truck I'm building and more. It's got the manual transmission, hydroboost brakes, 4 wheel disc brakes, transmission e-brake, dual rear wheels, plenty of room for storage. I plan on keeping this one for a long time.

Yes 10 lugs and some heavy ass rims! Hopefully I won't have to change them too often!

I've seen some 4x4 SD's but they were probably conversions. I wish this one was a 4x4! With the leaf spring front suspension a 4x4 swap would be pretty simple if it wasn't for the 10 lug wheels.

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                    So are those doors on the side of the "bumper" how you access the taillights and wiring?
                    Those doors are for a storage box that runs the full width of the flatbed. And yes you can get to all the taillights and wiring inside the storage box. It gives me a great spot to store my floor jack and hi-lift bumper jack.
                    Last edited by Fordman75; 10-08-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X