my 85 grand marquis ls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 85 grand marquis ls

whats up, this is my first post here, i just found this site last night, i didnt think there was a site out there dedicated to modding ford land yachts, most people think im crazy for liking those old boats so much,

i figured i'd post some pics of my grand marquis to start out, i'm still in the process of modding it. my last car was an 89 town car, which i loved, but it wasnt taken care of very well by the previous owner, and the engine finally died. i was heartbroken when that happened, it had been through alot, and had some body damage, but it was a comfortable ride, and was fast as hell. after it died i went on craigslist and found an 85 grand marquis for 300 bucks, i went and bought it the next day.

i love this car almost just as much as the lincoln. i've grown to like the body style even more, although it doesn't have as much power as the lincoln (which i think is either dirty fuel injectors, clogged cats, or a bad fuel pressure regulator) so far i've replaced the fuel filter and that added quite a big of lost acceleration. i'll find out soon what else is wrong. so far the only thing i've done to it (aside from accidentally busting out the driver's side window, which i'll replace soon) i've started repainting it. it started out with really ugly orange pinstriping on the sides, brown on the sides and cream/beige on top. i've repainted the whole car with a hammered black finish and a regular black finish on the vinyl top (which is a temporary fix until i get a new top, since the original one is terribly cracked) i also added an old hoodscoop my dad had lying around.

the hood scoop is a bit off-center, i'm not done bolting it down just yet.

i'm using regular spray paint from rustoleum, with a spray regulator cap thingy that costs like 5 bucks at home depot, but it works great. now that i've done the main coat, im going to cover it in regular glossy black rustoleum, and then paint yellow/red flames on the front. then spray a coat of clear over it.

after that im gonna put new shocks all the way around (the original ones are sagging just a bit, and the rear air shocks leak a little) im also in the process of sanding down and buffing up the old chrome bumpers and trim. only other thing i plan on doing just yet is getting a new gt steering wheel, and installing a cd player+ an amp and new speakers. i have a new jensen to put in there, and the wiring harness, but because that year uses a floating ground, i need to get an adapter for it. im also trying to find a good set of american racing rims for it, although i like the stock turbine-type wheels, i want something a bit shinier.

it has a brand new stock muffler/tailpipe on it. the original muffler/tailpipe was completely rusted through, so i ripped them off and put a brand new one on there just to pass inspection, i'm probably gonna put some mustang shorty headers on there, rip off the cats, and put 2 glasspacks on straight pipes
    Last edited by jedimasterhassan; 09-18-2009, 02:30 AM.

glad you found us!
    welcome to gmn!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

nice car mang welcome to gmn where in jersey do you live?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Coo front bumper mod...i am a little heart broken you painted over the original color though.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thanks for the compliments, i live in monmouth county new jersey, and actually thats the stock bumper, i didnt change it at all

Comment

wow very interesting that is the first time i have every seen 4 of those block pusher things on a bumper.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah, i'm thinking of doing a few more mods, i wanna make this into a grand marquis "gt", add a decent looking spoiler, and i was thinking of putting fog lights in between those plastic bumper things. i think it would look pretty good with a pair, one inside each of those. im also thinking of converting to round headlights and old school round side view mirrors.

Comment

Nice Merc!!! It's cool to see a growing NJ Panther population. I live in Union County. Welcome to GMN!

Packman

Comment

Welcome! Who owns the white GMQ?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

the white grand marquis is my grandfathers, he just got it a few months ago, it's an 02-03 i believe.

Comment

Mmmmm...I had a white 85.....Miss her

Comment

Working...
                      X