Wagon Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon Towing

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

Went out 4 wheeling and tore the rear driveshaft out on some rocks (common occurance, i pretty much always break something). Front driveshaft is not suitable for highway travel, so i was stuck at the off-road park.

Called up a buddy who picked up my wagon (1986 country squire) and another buddies trailer and came to my rescue. The wagon actually pulled it great! I have 3.73 gears in the rear axle and rear air bags, but the motor is just the factory 302 w/ 150 hp (much less now with 180,000 miles on it). No problems at all going down the road at 60 mph all the way home.

In the future i do need a weight distributing hitch to get some weight back over the front tires, and i need a bigger alternator to power those trailer brakes without killling voltage to the car, but overall i was very impressed. rescue situation and it pulled through without even a blink.

new motor is still being worked, hopefully will be in the car in the next month or so. another tow test then? well, i'm sure i'll bust the blazer again soon enough.

enjoy!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00167.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1294875
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1294876
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Nice! Get any weird looks on the way home?
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by JD's Toy View Post
      The wagon actually pulled it great! I have 3.73 gears in the rear axle and rear air bags, but the motor is just the factory 302 w/ 150 hp (much less now with 180,000 miles on it). No problems at all going down the road at 60 mph all the way home.
      What air bags are you using?

I am hoping when I can afford to switch to 3.55 gears mine will tow better.

Hills really do me in.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I'm running these air springs in the rear:

didn't have any big hills on the way home, but until i get the new motor in there i expect i wouldn't fare to well on them.

my buddy following me said there were quite a few people checking out the towing setup on the drive home.
        1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

That's a really good price, once these air shocks wear out..

Yea, I do really well on the flats too, 65 easy, but it really loves the gas over 55.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

What shocks are you using with the air spring setup? Time to replace my Gabriel airshocks. That looks like the way to go.
            sigpic
            Current Rides
            67 Cougar XR7
            97 Mountaineer 5.0
            03 Ranger XLT

Comment

nice!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 87LongroofCP View Post
                What shocks are you using with the air spring setup? Time to replace my Gabriel airshocks. That looks like the way to go.
                just parts store cheapies on the shocks. did just fine. just want more weight over the front tires next time. maybe fill the front bumper with concrete?

Comment

Didn't tow in overdrive did you?

Comment

Sweet! I now officially want a Wagon to use as my Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Yeah me too!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        Didn't tow in overdrive did you?
                        nope... no worries there. drive all the way. although i am used to having a "2" on the gear selector. why ford, why?? (this is my first ford, so far so good)

Comment

sweet mang what brake controller do you have?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Haha, Gabe, what's up with you and brake controllers? lol

And JD, nice job towing that rock home, now just get the 130A alternator and you'll be good.

Comment

Originally posted by JD's Toy View Post
                              nope... no worries there. drive all the way. although i am used to having a "2" on the gear selector. why ford, why?? (this is my first ford, so far so good)
                              I can send you a CVPI PRNOD2 shift indicator if it'd make you feel better ...
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X