No announcement yet.

FatNasty's 1990 CV CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the coil off the merc and tried it but no change. took the plugs out again, and cranked w/ ign off to clear out the cylinders. Letting it dry out now. Bought a new set of plugs to try, well except #5 since that one wont come out. Anyone know what sort of signal the injectors should be getting while starting? Anything that would cause them to spray way to much fuel, that seems like it could be the problem. Its getting fuel and spark, but seems like too much fuel.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

With new plugs it started, but ran REALLY rough. Kinda sounded like some backfiring and stuff. I didn't have it run very long, had to go somewhere, plus it was running so rough it sounded like i might break something. ugh

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
        With new plugs it started, but ran REALLY rough. Kinda sounded like some backfiring and stuff. I didn't have it run very long, had to go somewhere, plus it was running so rough it sounded like i might break something. ugh

Forgive my ignorance for asking this question, but are you trying to run that engine using the stock speed density computer? And could that be your problem? Or did I miss the post where you changed the computer out?

Or is this just a simple case of me not knowing what the heck I'm talking about?
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 05-17-2010, 12:06 AM.

Comment

88 mark vii HO computer. all the proper HO swap stuff. This is the second explorer swap i've done. Using the same basic parts, the first one runs beautifully, its the one in my sig pic.

Comment

Check your fuel pressure. I have an odd hunch.

Comment

do a compression test

Comment

Are you getting vacuum to the MAP sensor? My Explorer upper had a clog in the vacuum port I was using, and it ran like ass until I figured that out. Is the MAP any good? Might try swapping one if you have a spare. They tend to fail in such a way that it runs full rich all the time, basically like no vacuum on the MAP. Oddly, they sometimes run normal with a dead map if you unhook the vac hose.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

checked fuel pressure, 36psi with the engine off and the fuel pump running. holds the pressure well. Also blew smoke through a vac hose to see if i had any leaks i wasn't finding, but nothing.
                  Last, i did a compression test. All plugs out and the throttle open, motor was cold and no oil in cylinders:
                  1: 65
                  2: 65
                  3: 65
                  4: 65
                  5: 70
                  6: 90
                  7: 90
                  8: 75

now i'm guessing this was my problem and i'm fucked. The block still showed decent honing marks similar to the exploder motor in my merc and that runs great. So basically i was just praying it would all be ok, if not, my fault for being cheap.

Comment

damn, thats way low. You didn't mess with the block right, just re-gasketed the motor and put it in? The pistons weren't out or anything like that?

Related question, how much do you trust that compression gauge, and was the battery fully charged?
                    Last edited by gadget73; 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nope, never took the pistons out. didn't mess with the block. battery seemed to be full charge or close. hooked the gauge up to my compressor and it displayed what the compressor gauges displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        damn, thats way low.
                        You know, with low compression over all 8 cylinders, I'm thinking he should get another gauge.

That, or sell me the car for $50.

Comment

Did you swap cams? You got the timing marks where they belong right? If the cam timing is off, it will screw with the compression

Comment

Doubt the tester is bad, hooked it to my compressor and it read whatever the tank pressure was at. Also, yes, swapped cams. But i took a pic of the timing chain on before putting the timing cover back and it looks correct.

Put plugs back in yesterday and started it. Was running rough again, managed to get the timing set. Vac was a bit better, 15 but it was up and down a bit. oil pressure great. Fuel pressure between 35 and 40. Once the temp reached 150 or so, started to really bog down. If i gave it some gas, it would shake around a ton and make some backfiring noises. At this point if i ever lowered the rpm's again, it would die. Once it finally did, it wouldn't start again.

Damn thing is coming back out

Comment

Originally posted by FatNasty View Post
                              Doubt the tester is bad, hooked it to my compressor and it read whatever the tank pressure was at. Also, yes, swapped cams. But i took a pic of the timing chain on before putting the timing cover back and it looks correct.

Put plugs back in yesterday and started it. Was running rough again, managed to get the timing set. Vac was a bit better, 15 but it was up and down a bit. oil pressure great. Fuel pressure between 35 and 40. Once the temp reached 150 or so, started to really bog down. If i gave it some gas, it would shake around a ton and make some backfiring noises. At this point if i ever lowered the rpm's again, it would die. Once it finally did, it wouldn't start again.

Damn thing is coming back out

You didn't get one of those one-off 'ringless' engines, did you?

One other note: What firing order are you using?

Comment

it seems that i might have. that is some shit ass compression 'eh?

HO firing order, same as my last exploder swap that i did. believe me. i wish i made some stupid mistake, but it seems i picked a motor with good hone marks, that has bad rings.
                                Last edited by FatNasty; 05-21-2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X