TL's new Daily Driver *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i feel old ugha.......the spare was easy to get at

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

How did the tire deal with the heat?

88Vic, it's true the STi is now only a 5-door. If I could swing the $38k starting price right now, there's not a chance I would go for it. They're going to loose a lot of sales with that one, which is already apparent seeing 4 outside, and 1 inside, the dealer for sale. They used to be hard to find.

Comment

People who would normally buy an STI are gonna look for used models or get an Evo.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

used to work on a bunch of old scoobydoos.........all the spares looked perfect

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Its a hatchback with a rounded back end. Yours looks much better.
            -Me

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Hey, hatchbacks FTW!!111!!!
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah I know lol but not this one
                -Me

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

My girlfriend has a Subaru in their yard that has the spare under the hood. I ain't gotta clue what model it is, but I'd drive it. It's been sitting there for three years and needs work.

I was lookin' at the new Subarus...But decided on something different...Should be here in a couple more weeks.

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by Laura View Post
                    Yeah I know lol but not this one
                    This is true. Kinda like a modern day 4 door Pacer. I like the utility, but draw the line at some point.

It looks better in WRX or STi form. Subaru should have lengthened the rear, but cropped it instead. A true Impreza Wagon with a formal roof line would have been sweet.

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                    I was lookin' at the new Subarus...But decided on something different...Should be here in a couple more weeks.
                    Oh, the suspense! Post it up when it comes home.
                    Last edited by torquelover; 04-15-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

RICE!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Update after 600 miles:

The thing is more efficient than I thought it would be. Having AWD that is always locked in and also having one of the only engines in it's class that's bigger than a large soda bottle, the EPA rates it as 20/27. I found that with my normal driving style, which is heavy throttle at all times unless braking, I am averaging 23 MPG in my daily stop-and-go commute.

If I can somehow stand to do it for more than a day or two, shifting at 1800-2000 RPM with a fairly heavy throttle gets me around 29-31 MPG. It's pretty pokey shifting so early, but the 2.5 liter H4 doesn't seem to have a problem lugging around.

Since it only has 170 HP/TQ, with always-engaged AWD, breaking the tires loose is not an option. Even in the rain, I can take sharp 90* corners in town at WOT without any drama whatsoever. No sliding, understeer, or oversteer. It just goes. I have experimented with launching the car. Slipping the clutch a tad gets the car off the line pretty well. I accidentally did a high RPM clutch drop which produced a brief yowl from the tires, and then 1st gear was done before I cleared the intersection. Pretty brutal, so I don't ever plan to do this again, since clutch and drive shaft failures are common for this platform after repeated redline launches.

Did some light off-roading. There was a service road that was undeveloped, and consisted of deep mud and ruts. Taking this route would save me quite a bit of time, so I went for it. It made it through, with pretty much zero drama. I did spike the throttle once, which sent a hunk of mud into an open rear window and into my Daughters mouth. She was having a blast up until that very moment. If I ever do it again, the windows will be up, LOL. I don't think I'll do it again, though, after seeing all the mud stuck to, and flying off of, the car. I think it took almost $10 in quarters at a self-serve car wash to remove 98% of the debris. If you Google "Impreza + mud" you'll see a bunch of Subie drivers in incredibly ridiculous terrain getting stuck .

The car has been pretty good so far. Some likes:

Better than expected economy and power.
                            Smooth ride and lots of wheel travel.
                            Light and extremely accurate steering.
                            Interesting sounds from the engine/trans.
                            Somewhat uncommon out here.
                            MP3 and WMA capability.
                            Awesome headlight output; able to see clearly at night in the rain.
                            Easy to get the booster seats and kids in.
                            Super rigid structure; feels bank vault-like.
                            Insanely tight turning radius.
                            Short gearing.
                            No bump steer.
                            Crazy traction.
                            Surprisingly fun to drive.

Some dislikes:

Crazy traction.
                            Short gearing.
                            The "Drive by Wire" throttle.
                            Projector headlight's cut-off too low.
                            Ivory interior color. (WTF were they thinking?)
                            Ricer aphrodisiac at stoplights.
                            Windshield creaks on colder days.
                            Super-light steering and clutch.
                            Huge key fob and keyless entry.
                            Stereo is a little muddy.
                            The shift action is too notchy and vague; doesn't like to be rushed.
                            Everyone asks "Is that your Focus?".

That's all for now. No vids yet, which is fine since I don't think anyone would be interested in them. So far, I like the car, especially considering the price.

Comment

Working...
                            X