Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• packman
    replied
    I bought a molded 5/8" 90* heater hose with 4" legs; which is more than plenty for that tight bend. Installed it on Friday afternoon before the storms hit.

Sinuses sidelined me on Saturday; but on Sunday I installed the turndowns on the mufflers and put up the exhaust. I put it into position and marked the joints for welding. Also extended the ECT sensor plug to reach the new location. Next weekend, when I remove the exhaust, I will put up the driveshaft and remove the IAT sensor from the intake manifold and relocate it to the air intake tube. And if I don't run out of time, I will find a place on the firewall to drill another hole for more wiring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1287089 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1287090 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1287091 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1287092

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    Not happening with the barb fitting; short length of hose and too rigid to maneuver into the ports. I will have to get the molded piece.

Also got the shorter mufflers last week; they are still too long to install the tailpipes. The outlet almost touches the rear axle tube. I will have to dump the exhaust at the axle and deal with a little extra rumble; well, not me, the driver will happily deal with that.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    I will try that. I also might try a 5/8" x 90* barb fitting. I saw one at Autozone a while back.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    Use a molded hose. Not gonna get a 90 degree in straight hose. Its just a 90 degree piece and its very available. Every Ford smallblock used that hose for 50+ years.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Little by little. That’s how progress is made.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    And a pic of the painted steering gear and frame. There is a spot off camera that I have to sand down and repaint; but otherwise, way better than it was. Of course when I was working on the heater hose over the weekend, the freakin trees let loose their pollen pods all over everything, including the exposed engine compartment. I hope it cleans off when I get the rest of the engine together.

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1287025
    Last edited by packman; 05-20-2020, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    I got heater hose for the CV hooked up over the weekend. Came across an issue with the small piece that goes from the water pump to the thermostat. I couldn't bend it 90* without kinking it. I need to find a short (2" - 3") low-tension 5/8" OD spring to insert so I can bend it without kinking it.

Also discovered that my exhaust won't fit the Dynomax 17749 Super Turbo mufflers that I wanted to use. I should have waited before ordering them (8 years ago), but I assumed that I could match the dual exhaust that I had on there. Oh well, I will try to make them work for my '05 MGM exhaust upgrade; it'll just force me to do duals rather than a large single exhaust that I envisioned for that car.

Name:	IMG_1112.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1287024

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    Degreased the steering box and the portion of the frame behind it yesterday. The lopo managed to oil that down as well. Cleaned up pretty good and I was able to apply MetalPrep last night before covering the car up. Hopefully there will be some dry days this week when I can paint it.

Name:	IMG_0949 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1286969 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1085 (1).jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1286970

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    I started the exhaust installation over the weekend. I put up all of the piping up to the X-pipe. I have to adjust the X-pipe connection a bit; mark everything; then have it welded. I might stick a flange in there so the exhaust can be taken apart with relative ease.

Name:	IMG_1075 (1).jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1286952

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1286953

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    Okay. I found the lopo upper plenum in the corner of the basement. I still have that main vacuum tubing with the branches sticking out of it for other vacuum connections. I will see if I have to use that; or run a new line to it. Thanks guys

Leave a comment:

• 86VickyLX
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    looks like the main vacuum connection to the manifold.
    Yup! Goes to the vacuum tree on the firewall.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    looks like the main vacuum connection to the manifold.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    I'm trying to ID this vacuum tube coming out of the tree. I think this goes to the intake manifold? IIRC

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1286892

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    It's the result of being bored at the tail end of my college years. Having watched a friend pour some money into his Chevelle for seemingly simple tasks; I resolved to learned how to do AN lines. Wish I had learned to do this stuff when I was young.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    You fancy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X