Vinyl top love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl top love?

So my vinyl top has seen better days, but I think it's still got some time left. There is a small amount of cracking, but most of it is still fairly supple, just wondering what I can do to extend the life a bit more.

Also, one of the crappy drive-through car washes douched it with some crap that kinda stained it a really shitty color in spots. Basically, I need to clean it up really well and then condition, or protect it somehow. I'm new to the world of vinyl tops so any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure in a year or two i'll get the old gal repainted, as well as a new vinyl top and such, but for now it's just not in the offing. I leave it to the experts, and thank you in advance for any and all responses.
    adam

Bobby has used 303 Aerospace on his vinyl top and we know how particular he is! You have probably seen photos of his '87 GM and how nice it is.

Comment

I used Meguiars #40. Worked great on mine. It was 10 years a barn queen, and the blue vinyl had a nice yellow/green haze to it + bird/vermin stains. A wash and a liberal application of this brought it back to true blue supple and soft. A few applications may be necessary to work it in. Take your time and you'll get good results. I just sprayed it on and worked it in with a rag.
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
      1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
      http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Thanks guys, once I figure out how to get that shitty orange tinge out from the stupid spray 'n' wash i'll hit it with the good stuff. Simple green may be the answer to getting that crud out. Hopefully it's not too harsh and won't damage the vinyl.

Comment

+1 on the 303 aerospace.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I always used a 2 part cleaner/protectant that I got at the local O'reilly auto parts on my '88. I believe it was a Meguiars product but I can't remember for sure. The top was mint when I got the car and still looked as good when it got totaled back in April, during the nearly 4 years I had the car it was never garaged. I don't know what the original owner used on the top but they also never garaged the car, I've been told not to use Armor All as it will crack the vinyl, though the experience of people I've know personally has been that that is not true.
            Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-01-2015, 11:42 AM.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I think the big myth with Armor All stems from it having alcohol in it, it would dry out the very surface it was supposed to protect. I put their tire shine stuff on the LTD's top and it looked great, until it rained. Then it ran down and slobbered up the paint, didn't hurt it none but it was messy. Look at the ingredients, if it contains any sort of solvent it's no bueno. Should have polymers and silicones in it to protect rubber/plastics. I don't think anything armor all makes has alcohol in it any more although I haven't bought anything other than tire shine from them lately. Ash ordered a can of the 303 stuff and I'll be putting that to the test with my '88 TC.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                I think the big myth with Armor All stems from it having alcohol in it, it would dry out the very surface it was supposed to protect. I put their tire shine stuff on the LTD's top and it looked great, until it rained. Then it ran down and slobbered up the paint, didn't hurt it none but it was messy. Ash ordered a can of the 303 stuff and I'll be putting that to the test with my '88 TC.
                Yes Armor All is mighty oily stuff, I've seen it run even without rain.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                  Yes Armor All is mighty oily stuff, I've seen it run even without rain.
                  I really like their white gel tireshine stuff that you have to wipe on with the supplied sponge thing but damn, it does go everywhere. If you have to drive the car right after applying it take a damp towel with you because the excess will end up all over your fenders & quarter panels. Ultra nice shine but if your tires have those tiny nooks and crannies you have to really work to get it in there. I started buying the mequiar's aersol spray stuff but it gets everywhere too, especially if there's even a HINT of a breeze. Shine doesn't last either. However, the car wash I go to uses this purple watery looking stuff but damn does it ever provide a good long lasting shine. Dude wouldn't tell me what it was exactly otherwise I'd have some by now lol.

Comment

You can't buy it, well at least not easily. It's called "Speedy" by Ardex, hands down the best product out there.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks dude! Going to try to look that up later...

Comment

I too use 303 aerospace protectant for my new vinyl top
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

How long have you been using it and how often do you apply it? Do you think it actually helps?

Comment

I used it immediately after it was installed back 5 years ago now. About once a month I use the product. It helps keep it clean and provides a nice scheen to the top. Feels like new still to me.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Word.

Comment

Working...
                              X