Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to disassemble these hubcaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be IMMENSELY easier to clean these things if I knew how to disassemble them. It may not look like it, but they're absolutely filthy.

89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

My grandpa warned me several years ago to never take those apart. He did it once back in the 70's or something. Take the emblems out of the middle and just put them in the dishwasher. Maybe don't use the dry cycle.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I don't have a dishwasher. I'll try a pressure washer or something I guess.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

There should be bolts on the backside. They hold the center on. With that off the wire spokes can come out.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

+1 do not disassemble. just use a pressure washer. hose down with some car wash type soap (or dish soap) and then spray clean. as always with pressure washers... don't get within a foot or so. you'll start peeling the chrome off the plastic parts if there's any issues with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Place them on the ground.

Find a large hammer.

Smash them in the center until the parts all fall out.

you never said you wanted to put them back together
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They're fiddly, but they can definitely be taken apart and put back together. I did all 4 of mine, they came out looking amazing, considering the state of the actual chrome. It'll take patience though. I probably averaged 30+ minutes for each one start to finish. All the spokes have to go back just so. But if you're running these wire wheel covers it's kinda the only good way to get them really clean.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I actually don't run them anymore. I want to get them clean enough to sell. For some reason they're hard to find and fetch upwards of $40 each.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Eagle one wire wheel cleaner.. A good stiff bendable bottle brush and some hot soapy water.. Hate those damn hubcaps I've thrown away like 3 sets because nobody wants them around here, couldn't give em away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if you can just use some of that wheel cleaner like for rims? The stuff you just spray on for a minute and then hose off. I use it on my decrepit Lincoln rims sometimes and they come out sparkling... aside from the large areas that are corroded, damaged, and generally unsightly. What grime there was on there that could be removed, just sorta runs off. Something like Meguiars Hot Rims/Wheels or whatever it's called. Just check the bottle to make sure you can use it on chrome. I bet it would make them twinkly!

Last edited by AC75; 09-05-2014, 02:19 PM.
                    1994 Lincoln Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                      Eagle one wire wheel cleaner.. A good stiff bendable bottle brush and some hot soapy water.. Hate those damn hubcaps I've thrown away like 3 sets because nobody wants them around here, couldn't give em away

Ah, now there's an idea. I'll grab some on the way to the power washer.

Thanks a bunch.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

No worries I used to wash the wire hubcaps on my moms cadillac that way.

Comment

I wanted to take mine apart too, but it looks like the 88+ they're made of plated plastic and, are melted together. I assume that the older style is metal and are able to be taken apart.

Comment

Originally posted by 89 Grand Marq View Post
                            I wanted to take mine apart too, but it looks like the 88+ they're made of plated plastic and, are melted together. I assume that the older style is metal and are able to be taken apart.
                            I'm really beginning to think Ford hates its customers.
                            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                            X