What is this window divider thing and how do I replace it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this window divider thing and how do I replace it

Alright, so I'm not sure what these are called and I've turned up minimal results for them. Anyways, I have a 4dr 91 GM LS and these window divider things separate the rear door windows from the triangular window piece -

I'm not sure how tough it would be to replace them but mine are rotting, discolored and look generally nasty. I was wondering if anyone else has replaced them... I'm sure the part isn't made anymore but it doesn't seem like it would be something that would be hard to replicate.
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Talking about the window channel/track between the stationary glass and window? Not very hard to change.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

you have to remove the big glass to change them out iirc

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
        Talking about the window channel/track between the stationary glass and window? Not very hard to change.
        Yep! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

edit - I'm not sure if this is it, it says its for 2dr hard tops but it looks very similar http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1978-Me...aa47b9&vxp=mtr
        Last edited by Stealthlead; 03-01-2014, 02:09 AM.
        1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

They do offer (EBAY) covers for those parts if you are so inclined. They are "stick-on" ones but actually look nice, if the metal under them are intact.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthlead View Post
            Yep! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

edit - I'm not sure if this is it, it says its for 2dr hard tops but it looks very similar http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1978-Me...aa47b9&vxp=mtr
            no, that's a rubber seal that goes in the channel, not the channel itself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              They do offer (EBAY) covers for those parts if you are so inclined. They are "stick-on" ones but actually look nice, if the metal under them are intact.
              So are you saying there is a metal piece under the piece that's rotting? Do you have a link to the ebay covers? I can't seem to find them.

Comment

No link but they do offer them. You "peel and stick" them on. Some are metal but most are plastic. Got to be careful as the 3M adhesive is VERY strong. Look under accessories or exterior (windows, maybe??). Try different search words till you find them.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

The channel that the glass slides in and holds the stationary glass in, is made of thin metal. One of those things that needs to be replaced, if its rotted through. Not sure about the covers though. Only seen them on early 80's panthers. Maybe bobby can post a link.

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive!!

Just an example as this seller has many different types and there are more sellers on EBAY!!

Comment

Also, scott is right about removing the sliding glass. At least move it to the side. Not hard, just can be tedious. And I forgot about the aftermarket covers. They do require a good surface for adhesion though.

Comment

Also, scott is right about removing the sliding glass. At least move it to the side. Not hard, just can be tedious. And I forgot about the aftermarket covers. They do require a good surface for adhesion though.
                        Good surface is always good but I put them on my '95 GM and they look flat and nearly OEM!! Didn't do any special surface prep. By the way, I used black as opposed to silver. Bobby

Comment

Dont disagree but, he did mention "rotting". If its slight rust, Im sure that can be taken care of.

Comment

Dont disagree but, he did mention "rotting". If its slight rust, Im sure that can be taken care of.
                            Agreed! Just like any other body repair. Depends upon how bad the areas are

Comment

The channel that the glass slides in and holds the stationary glass in, is made of thin metal. One of those things that needs to be replaced, if its rotted through. Not sure about the covers though. Only seen them on early 80's panthers. Maybe bobby can post a link.
                              There isn't really any rust, its just discolored and cracked on the driver side which I will get a picture of. If I'm understanding correctly though, this exterior piece is glued to the thin piece of metal and can be removed (although a pain I'm sure if its glued in) and then replaced? If that's the case, its not so bad. It would be really awesome if I could tear this nasty stuff off and put one of those chrome pieces from ebay on.

Comment

Working...
                              X