Locked out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked out

Either my door handle is froze open, and is causing me to not be able to fully unlock my door, or the handle is broken. On the passenger side, the lock bar must've bent, cause recently the only way to unlock it is to open it from the inside, and lock it with the key on the outside (odd, I know. My problem now, is that I can't get in, cause I can't unlock the passenger door, and I can't get in through the drivers side.

Any ideas?

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Go inside get a pot. Put a few cups of water in said pot. Put pot on stove Eye. Turn stove on :P Bring to boil. Go out side. Gentley and slowly poor some over the handle lock area. If this dosent work. ( To unfreez ) Try once more. If still Unefective come back and will try to figure something else out
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkKnight View Post
      Go inside get a pot. Put a few cups of water in said pot. Put pot on stove Eye. Turn stove on :P Bring to boil. Go out side. Gentley and slowly poor some over the handle lock area. If this dosent work. ( To unfreez ) Try once more. If still Unefective come back and will try to figure something else out

Well, my internet isn't working at home, so I was hoping to get a round of ideas before I leave work.

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Comment

That stuff is basically isopropyl alcohol, btw. If you have rubbing alcohol handy it will probably do just as well. Eye dropper or turkey baster to put it on/in the lock
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

What he said. Pouring hot water on a frozen lock is just going to make it freeze again when it gets cold. Like trying to put a fire out with gasoline.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

It'll work but not for long
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

if you really, really can't do it, after trying everything, you might have to get it opened by a tow truck driver. I tried pretty much everything, and just shelled out the 50 bucks because it wasn't gonna go above freezing for another week or so.

Obviously, if it goes above freezing, get out there and try your best to get it open so you know if it's frozen (temporary) or broken (needs repairs).

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

You can always try warming a key with a lighter and giving it a couple tries in the cylinder. That has worked for me a few time in the past. Once you get in, perhaps you should rig a string to the inner handle and leave it hanging just slightly outside the over the top of the car door (by the b pillar). That way, at least until its fixed you can pull the string which will automatically pop the door open from inside. The locksmiths I've seen just tend to wedge the top of the door open in that same area (the weakest spot) and catch the handle from the inside with a hook.
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

usually its the lock motor down in the door, not the key cylinder. If thats the case, once you get into the car, pull the lock solenoid out so your door locks work.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    LOL @ picture

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    usually its the lock motor down in the door, not the key cylinder. If thats the case, once you get into the car, pull the lock solenoid out so your door locks work.
                    yeap, the lock solinoinds where bad in my merc when i got it, so i pulled them, now i only have rear power locks, i like to think it a custom option, lol.
                    sigpic 1994 Lincoln TC executive

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                      You can always try warming a key with a lighter and giving it a couple tries in the cylinder. That has worked for me a few time in the past. Once you get in, perhaps you should rig a string to the inner handle and leave it hanging just slightly outside the over the top of the car door (by the b pillar). That way, at least until its fixed you can pull the string which will automatically pop the door open from inside. The locksmiths I've seen just tend to wedge the top of the door open in that same area (the weakest spot) and catch the handle from the inside with a hook.
                      It's impossible to wedge the door open, it's inset.

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Comment

anybody ever used a slim jim on one of these models?

1991 CV LTD LX Stock 5Xk

Comment

Be carefull with the sluimjim man. If you can offored it call a lock smith... SHoldent set u back but maybey 50 bucks and u wont bust ure lock. or something else.
                          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                            Here in Highland County (pop 2000), the cops will open your door for you. I'd think they'd be pretty friendly in ND too.

Donald McCaig
                            1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Cop or tow truck driver.

I did it on a busy and cold day for 50 bucks Canadian from a Newfie with a mullet to slim jim the rear door, and he offered to give me a boost for free if the battery had died. Took all of 3 minute.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                              X